IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

23 hours ago, wheee! said:

That is interesting. I have been using the degreaser/cleaner on the fibreglas as i go. I noticed some of the resin removal as well. I still create a lot of dust with the RO sander tho....

I wouldn't use the RO sander.  Too easy to create waves and ridges.  I used a nice long block and did the whole thing by hand.  If you get some real course sandpaper (#36) and use the shucking technique Kevin describes in the video you'll have good results without wearing your arm out.  

8 hours ago, wheee! said:

I plan on doing more of the long block work. The RO is more to get the bulk off. I will try the method in the video too!

Cool!  Hope I didn't sound bossy - just wanted to share something that worked well for me.  I'm enjoying your progress.  The project will really start to take on speed now.  

• Like 1

Flipped the car again tonight and did some more work on the frame rails. Decided to blend them in to the floor pans for a clean look. No reason other than OCD...! When I finish the blending, I will start the seam sealing and final prep sanding for the sealant coat of epoxy primer.

LOL The truth is, the DTM epoxy coat went on a little thick and left a fairly rough texture. I have to smooth it all out before I respray the DTM as a seal coat. I want that to go on nice and smooth so the base coat and clear look purty!

I still have some more fill work on the other side of the passenger frame rail, but nothing serious. I might do some minor pinholes with glaze to fill in the fibreglas. Way too OCD on this part of the car, I know....

• 2 weeks later...

I just was looking at my latest progress pictures and realized they looked the same as last time...! Doesn't look like any work has been done but I have done more sanding and added the putty coat to the floor panels along the frame rails. A little more sanding then on to the seam sealing. Then the sealer coat!