IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

240ziggy

A tip for the floorboards. When I did mine I made a cardboard template of the basically flat area of the floor. I transferred that to the new floor plan. Cut slots in from the edge about 1 1/2" apart up to the scribed line. I then bent these with a hammer and dolly. That gives a nice rounded transition to the tunnel and follows the original floor lines. Welded it all up. Done basically the same way you did it but with more sections to make it easier to shape.

Charles

My biggest tip on welding is use a good welder. I had a cheap 100 amp welder and my buddy said it looked like a drunk monkey had made the welds. Bought a good 210 amp 220v welder and it is much easier. An hour or two of practice and I can lay down a decent bead...

Charles

Please note i'm not a Professional only an Amateur with little experience learning for the first time. I purchase new tools as I need it. :rolleyes:

Patcon - Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the rotten floors who previously replaced it was not a good job. I used a Stretcher/Shrinker hand tool to shape the sheet metal.

gnosez - Thanks. I've done it and going to add an extra strength along that area as well.

Oiluj - This is my first time operating a 220V Mig gas welder, practicing on inconspicuous areas until I become better at it.

I spent most of the day today just on this patch work.

post-28514-0-97922300-1420327241_thumb.j

post-28514-0-62998000-1420327286_thumb.j

post-28514-0-89577200-1420327293_thumb.j

post-28514-0-46953700-1420327315_thumb.j

I have spent time and money to get mine looking good enough to drive out and about.  So I was so proud going to get some groceries in my new/old car.  Put all the stuff in the hatch then went to unlock the driver's door.  Stiff as hell and I didn't want to break the key in the door so I started to climb through the hatch to unlock the driver's door when the security guard came up and ask what I was doing!  He thought I was breaking into the car.  Showed him how my key operated the hatch lock and offered to show my drivers license when he started to smile and said he knew it was my car he was just busting my balls.  :D

So that's what I'll try and fix tomorrow.  Always something to "fix" with these cars. 

• Like 2

I replaced the tranny mount bushings with urethane…….. for the second time.  Screwed up the first mount as I had chiseled out the metal sleeves from the original.  Not so smart when the directions were readily available.  But that's what happens when you have parts laying around too long and just start to wing it when the time comes.  And I thought I was old enough to know better.  :blink:

Came home the other night, put the car cover and on smelled gas. There was a steady drip from the fuel return hose where it attaches to the tank. Got a flashlight and some cardboard to lie on, saw the clamp had cut the hose. 

After getting some gas in the eye, decided on a quick  fix, took off the old clamp, pushed the hose farther on the barb, past the cut, and clamped it with a #10 F.I. clamp (needs a #8 or #9).

When I redid the fuel hose to the tank couple years ago, didn't change the return hose; figured I didn't need to since the return line's not hooked up. Dumb. The hose is thin and not ethanol-resistant, don't know how old, and the clamp was too big, not F.I. type, so it tightened out-of-round and cut the hose.

Noticed my gas mileage is worse lately, maybe this will help.

• Mike locked this topic