IGNORED

Last try on this issue

bhermes

Mechanic has been driving the car for about 4 days now and it has not acted up. Still waiting so he can check both fuel pressure/flow and spark.

I told him today to just drive it all day until it breaks down.

I will update when it fails and what he finds.

Again thanks for all the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, sorry so long to post again. According to mechanic wires to temp sensor we're loose. He drove car about 45 mile one way trip twice with no issues. Normally car would have a problem with this length of drive. Need a little more driving to be sure. Any thoughts if this makes sense? Heating up during driving?

I will keep everyone posted

Thanks

I have seen this before as well as a loose wire in the low voltage harness from the coil area to the distributor that stopped the spark.

The wind from the road and from the fan will shake these wires strung across from the fender to the engine. As well wet spray from the road will hit them (and the electrical connectors).

I guess what I was wondering is if the car heating up while running, shutting down, waiting 15 minutes, and then restarting could be caused by a loose temp sensor. What happens when the temp sensor is not connected or a loose connection. Current flow issue or arcing.

From Blue's Tech Tips, "It should be easy to see that the resistance decreases as the engine warms up. It is also worth noting that the FSM says the amount of fuel injected decreases as the engine warms up." http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/tempsensorpot/index.html

If they were loosely getting contact, air from the fan as Blue said, it would do what your's has been doing. Clean them, put dialectic grease on them and crimp them together tight. Take your phone along for an hour drive around the neighborhood.

I'm new to Datsuns, but I've seen something similar on Hondas. Usually it's a main relay. Especially if all the timing components are good/new/within spec. Please don't lash me for thinking out loud. Hope it helps, if not at least one less thing to worry about.

Got the z back on Friday. Drove about 50 miles with no issues. Car drove great. Other than my windshield wiper flying off during a rain storm. I drove about 50 miles over the weekend and again no issues. The car seems to be good but still need a little more drive time.

I will post again soon.

My students at school are starting to install a new amp, sub, and speakers. Living dangerously but I think they can do it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions and I will check back soon.