IGNORED

Replacement tar mat

Zup

Thanks Chas!

Should be easier for you to get.

It is made by Wurth--a German automotive parts and accessories supplier/manufacturer.

It has to be imported to get it to the states.

I dare say it will be less costly than Murder mat for you.

Thanks Chas!

Should be easier for you to get.

It is made by Wurth--a German automotive parts and accessories supplier/manufacturer.

It has to be imported to get it to the states.

I dare say it will be less costly than Murder mat for you.

I like the sound of that. Finnally something I don't need to pay all the shipping and import taxes on:D

Chas

Carl,

I'll never be able to contribute as much as you have done to further the knowledge of these cars we love so much.

Without this website and the posts by members here, we would all be at a loss.

Many, many Thanks to You Sir!

Jim D.

"Zup"

Hi Dan and thank you!

Yes, carpet will be from "Chester & Herod"!

https://www.facebook.com/chesterandherod1924/timeline?ref=page_internal

Here's a quote from their website---

"Datsun 240z carpet

1970 in Hollywood

One of our most exciting moments came in 1970, when the owner created floor mats for the Datsun (then secret) 240z car. After making the carpet, he was is promptly asked to keep his mouth shut. Only 5 people in the country knew about the 240z."

I figure if these people were the selected shop to install carpet into the just released 240Z-- (which originally for the earliest cars, came with rubber mats only--RE: Arne and Mike B.)--then it should be exactly what I need. We had a significant discussion of jute and carpet on the forum several years ago. I am just now getting closer to it.

As for the jute--

I purchased it from "The Roadster Factory"---Carpet: Carpet Underfelt Kits And Underfelt Material, TR2, TR3, TR4, TR4a, TR250, TR6 :(page 38)

This stuff appears nearly identical to the original jute under-padding found in our Z'z, and is sold as replacement for British cars of the same vintage. (I.E. Triumph, Spitfire, MG and the like)

I purchased the roll goods rather than precut, as the shapes necessary for the Z cars differ.

When time comes for the install of the jute I will post up photos and patterns taken from the remnants of originals I have collected over the years.

All of this is meant as a resource, of sorts, for anyone wishing to fit their Z with original materials.

Jim D.

"Zup"

• 1 year later...
On ‎08‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 8:14 AM, Zup said:

After 8 years of fits and starts restoring "Buttercup", a 7/70 build date 240Z (#7032) it has come down to the interior, which was completely stripped and the old tar mat removed.

While "Murdermat", "Fatmat", and the like are what are commonly used as upgrade/replacement--- I wanted the original deal--- as close to the factory fitment as possible.

After lots of net searching I finally found what I thought would be as near the original asphaltic mat as I was apt to find.

I bought the mat from AutoAtlanta FOR PORSCHE: WU890100, WU8 901 00 - READY TO SHIP - (WURTH FLOOR PAN TAR SOUND DEADENING INSULATING KIT) , a purveyor of restoration parts for Porsche autos:

RWU890100.jpg

I used a roll of rosin paper to trace the original floor mat outlines---- from the interior of another '70 240Z I had purchased as a parts car---- and cut out the patterns , traced it again and cut the new mat out with scissors.

Here's how that looks:

010.jpg

Next I proceeded to install the mat using a heat gun and a couple of hand tools to shape the mat to the sheet metal contours of the floor pans, transmission tunnel and rear hatch floor:015.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

030.jpg

026.jpg

The mat has an adhesive and a release paper and when heated can be formed easily to the contours of the metal. It took several hours to create the patterns and do the install. I deviated from installing the mat on bare metal by painting all of the interior first, but the mat will be painted the body color as was done originally with a complete re-spray of the interior .

All in all I am satisfied with the product and offer this to assist to anyone wanting to do the same in the restoration of their Z.

Paint should follow in the next few days and I will post up a few photos when that has been completed.

Jim D.

"Zup"

JIM,

This looks great. I am still uncertain on what to use to replace the original jute material. I would like your advice before buying any materials that may serve as:

Sound barrier

Heat reflection

moisture absorber which i believe is the purpose of the JUTE PADDING: http://www.stockinteriors.com/jute.asp?Itemid=4794

Your opinión on this will surely guide me making a final decisión on what to buy. Looking forward to your assesment!

• Like 1

The problem with the original jute padding is that it does hold moisture for years, spreads it over a large area. No easy way to remove and dry it after it gets wet. I'd look for something else. You don't want a sponge under the carpets. If you do use a foam product, be sure it's closed cell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

The problem with the original jute padding is that it does hold moisture for years, spreads it over a large area. No easy way to remove and dry it after it gets wet. I'd look for something else. You don't want a sponge under the carpets. If you do use a foam product, be sure it's closed cell.

My orange 240 has very little rust overall but due to a leaky valve at the heater core inlet and outlet it had seeped coolant for no telling how long and thanks to that jute my passenger floor board will need replacing someday.  For the time being I've got a "NO FAT CHICKS" sticker on the passenger door. LOL

@jalexquijano here's the thread on the gray spray paint for the rear finisher you were asking about.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Mark,

Okay! So instead of using the Stock Jute Padding in order to protect my new floors,  what would you recommend????? The shop is almost finishing replacing both floors and i need to place my order ASAP, if posible today.  AS advised previously i want a material that serves as sound barrier, heat dissipation and a Tar insulator as above.

Please revert shortly.