IGNORED

240k Race car - GTR tribute

mikec(nz)

Hey All,

1st a big thanks to those that posted various info on this site, really has helped with my research.

A couple of months ago I bought this race car (been a race car since 2006) here in NZ.

post-30608-14150829698599_thumb.jpg

Decided to make it into a GTR replica - along the lines of the blue image car - like this

08252C_2000_skyline_73_blue_back

But it needed to stay compliant with the NZ motorsport rules so those big flares and no bumpers were out.

Nearly finished. Had two real talented guys get stuck in and get it done super quick. Car had only the smallest amount of rust and all the trim was intact so that was great.

post-30608-14150829698991_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you guys want some more info/pics.

Cheers Mike

I think the flares you have gone with look much better than the model. What about the grille? Can I see a front view. Looks great. Not sure if it is the same one but youtube has a blue coupe posted by keith g. Same car? If it is the same it sounds fantastic and I have been wondering what engine, exhaust, carb combo it runs. Any info please.

You are correct that is the same car. L6 2.8 engine with diesel crank stroked to 3.0l, custom extractors and triple dellorto carbs. New side exhaust is planned, currently just a single.

Got the flares and grill from restored via Ottomoto, unfortunately nothing fitted that well. Chad spent hours modifying the grill and we modified the flares a bit but might need to revisit one of the rears.

The grill is not fitted at the time I took this photo as we have only just finalised the power steering conversion.

post-30608-14150829699443_thumb.jpg

How it arrived compared to stock

post-30608-14150829725075_thumb.jpg

How it fitted (or did not fit)

post-30608-14150829699661_thumb.jpg

After adding an extra 20mm in the middle and replacing the mesh with something lighter and better.

post-30608-14150829700051_thumb.jpg

Close up - also removed the three bars that held the mesh, I know this is how they came, but prefer the cleaner look.

post-30608-14150829700251_thumb.jpg

Painted grey metallic (re chromed bumper still needs alignment and GTR badge needs to be fitted)

Very cool mate. I'd love to see more photos but especially more videos of this beast!!!

With the graphics on the car are they all stickers/decals? was there much work getting them right when printed?

And how did you secure the rear wing?

Im just deciding on what i want from my coupe, but since it'll probably be a club race car (not a recognised category racer), i'm toying with an RB26DETT setup similar to the gibson motorsport Grp A R32 GTR but run the whole big flare race car setup. But sadly at the moment its a stripped shell.

3DCF6F87-D936-4EAA-95DD-7F3C649412BD-721-000001255204ACCE_zps9156b73b.jpg

This car belongs to Mr Kitagawa in Japan

Can't wait to see more (and hear) more of yours!!!

Edited by 240k Style

Probably a couple more weeks till it is all done, then will take it to the track and will prob get video etc.

Understand about your car being a club car, but putting a RB in is a bit sacrilegious especially as they are getting so rare now. However can always go back.

We affixed the spoiler using the same rivet bolts we used for the front spoiler and the flares. Restored provided normal rivets - but they would have looked like crap.

post-30608-14150829734326_thumb.jpg

We also modified the front of the rear spoiler as it did not have the indents for the rivet bolts, so we used four at the back and four along the front. I think they used double sided tape at the front and rivets at the back for the street versions. But don't want it coming off at high speeds so took a bit of care.

We affixed the spoiler using the same rivet bolts we used for the front spoiler and the flares. Restored provided normal rivets - but they would have looked like crap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73394[/ATTACH]

We also modified the front of the rear spoiler as it did not have the indents for the rivet bolts, so we used four at the back and four along the front. I think they used double sided tape at the front and rivets at the back for the street versions. But don't want it coming off at high speeds so took a bit of care.

Yeah that's why I asked. I was worried it wasn't secured enough also. I've seen some rear wings having bolt fiberglassed into the underside of the wing in the gap so to speak. I was thinking along those lines (I'll have to find a photo).

And as for the RB it's a long way off but I was after something different with some serious go. And yes it's reversible.

I have a Yonmeri (sedan) for my purist side of things

Hearing engines like yours though doesn't help the RB cause muchLOL

Edited by 240k Style

That looks like a much better designed spoiler. Probably the restored parts are my biggest regret of the whole build, normally Japanese parts fit so well, these were just crap. I am going to have to redo one of the rear flares as it is just not right.

Here's what we did with the rear spoiler

post-30608-14150829734511_thumb.jpg

I took a video (bit tricky as was still on jack stands and lighting is not the best), but will let you guys know when it has finished uploading.

Also got the badges onto the grill, sticking with both the 240k GT and the GTR badges for the car, seems the right thing to do.

post-30608-14150829734841_thumb.jpg

Had some dramas with You tube but finally got a video up -

Due for full clean tomorrow, couple of small tidy up issues then we need to get to the track to bed the new brakes in and make sure everything is fine.

Regarding the signwriting it was really difficult. We use printed media, but had to print out in sheets otherwise would have had a lot of cuts and breaks. The signwriters did it first with tape, then with cheap media, then finally with the gold. Took probably around 20 hours of designing and mucking around.

EDIT

Video seems to be having trouble processing...

Here are some images in the meantime

post-30608-14150829816545_thumb.jpg

post-30608-14150829817093_thumb.jpg

post-30608-14150829817548_thumb.jpg

post-30608-14150829817997_thumb.jpg

post-30608-1415082981845_thumb.jpg

I have over 100 images of the rebuild process so if you want to see anything let me know.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikec(nz)

Absolutely love it Mike. In evey way possible,the colour, the look, the interior, and the engine. And the sound of it is even better.Top work Mike and congratulations on this awsome race car and the way you've done it. Will definitely be grabbing info about this engine off you once I get a 240k.