IGNORED

DIY Bumper Guard Strips?

Hardway

You gotta figure, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between OEM back bumper rubber strips and rubber strips made from old slicks or Home Depot threshold strips at, say, a distance of 1/4 mile.

Mike

Edited later: As in a post below by psdenno, I will also add my apologies for those who were looking for serious help with the rubber bumper strip.

Edited by Mikes Z car

You gotta figure, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between OEM back bumper rubber strips and rubber strips made from old slicks or Home Depot threshold strips at, say, a distance of 1/4 mile.

Mike

The Quarter Mile test works for me. Plus, if made from old slicks, the trim pieces could be marketed as "Speed Equipment". No downside. LOL

My apologies to those who come to this forum looking only for serious advice.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

Actually, I made one front bumper guard strip using 1/4" thick black rubber sheet I had in the Garage, (from McMaster-Carr), for my niebor's 240Z. Used a belt sander for making it the correct thickness and making the radiused edges. Almost indistinguishable from the stock part.

Actually, I made one front bumper guard strip using 1/4" thick black rubber sheet I had in the Garage, (from McMaster-Carr), for my niebor's 240Z. Used a belt sander for making it the correct thickness and making the radiused edges. Almost indistinguishable from the stock part.

How did you fasten them to the bumper Julio? My first guess would be silacone adhesive.

Sorry it took so long, but was having some computer issues, (due to an abortive attempt to down-rev from Win 8.1 to Win 7). Don't get me started...

Attached is a pick of the garage made front bumper guard rubber strip. As you can see, it came out reasonably well. It's glued to the bumper guard using weatherstrip adhesive. (Looking at the pic, I see I forgot to close the hood)

post-15388-14150829836795_thumb.jpg

I used the passenger side rubber to trace the shape on the rubber sheet, then cut it out on a band saw. I used a disc sander to radius the corners, and then used a belt sander, (the round pulley section), to radius the edges. Was careful to not try to "cut" too much so I didn't end up chamfering the edge as opposed to forming a radius.

I initially tried using a radius bit at high speed on a shaper, but it didn't work well. Perhaps if the rubber was frozen it might have worked.

Julio