IGNORED

AC Installation cost

lcord

Hello

I own a 1972 240Z without air conditioning. The dealer installed AC was pulled out. I've been searching for someone to install one for me. I don’t have the skill, space or tools to complete the task. I have my eye on the Gen II compac from Vintage Air. I currently live in Southern Cal and at some point will be moving to Texas. The quote I received from a shop in Santa Ana, CA called The Air Shop was about $3,200. That would include the Gen II, an electric fan and installation. It’s my understanding that this is very labor intensive. I just want to know if this is considered a reasonable cost or maybe they don’t won’t to work on it and gave me a high quote to get me to go someplace else. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Might be a bit high. I had the unit that MSA sells installed with electric fan for about $1,600 a few years ago in SoCal. The unit you're looking at may be more expensive, but installation cost should be about the same for any unit.

Dennis

I seem to recall the cost of a Vintage-Air system for my '66 Mustang being around $1600 back in the late 90's (installed). I know that would be more in today's dollars, but I don't know how much more.

The system was very nice, but I think the professional installation was a bit ragged around the edges. The freon lines were pointed up into the hood (touching it), and the ducts to the side vents were installed over an accessory fuse block I installed. (The installer could have easily moved it, but he didn't.) If I had to do it over again, I'd install my own.

Oh, and FAIW, your decision to install AC for Texas is spot-on. I can't imagine NOT having AC there. (I've lived all over the state.) I would also recommend you consider installing louvers over your hatch glass. It makes such a big difference not to have the sun beating down in your black-carpeted hatch! I wish I had done that when I owned my Z in Texas.

Edited by FastWoman

FWIW, Probably the reason it's so expensive is that you have to remove the dash and seats making it labor-intensive. It is not a simple plug-n-play. About $1500 for the Vintage Air kit. V.A. doesn't make a kit specifically for our cars. The shop will have to make a compressor mount as V.A. doesn't supply one. I think the price is pretty fair considering it took me a week of work to put mine in, and I'm a pretty fair mechanic. The V.A. units are much more efficient than the old style A/C. I'm happy with my Hot Rod Air system (very similar to the V.A. unit), but unfortunately they are no longer in business.

Cheers, Mike

Just another option to investigate: You might be able to find all the used parts you need for an R12 installation. There's a possibility you might even be able to buy a remanufactured R12 compressor. The R12 freon is still available and is cheaper than it was, shortly after its manufacture was halted. You might even be able to do an R134a adaptation of a stock R12 system. The advantage to either of these approaches is that it can become a DIY project. If you go with R12, you'll of course need to have a certified/licensed shop evacuate and charge. I think you can handle the R134a yourself without any special certifications. I think $150 - $200 is all you'd require in special tooling -- a vacuum pump and a set of manifolds.

I think you can handle the R134a yourself without any special certifications.

Even here in Kalifornia you can get R134a over the counter. Theres a core charge of I think $10 a can but anyone can purchase it. Also some parts stores will rent you an vacuum pump and some gauges

Considering AC parts, compressor mount, building custom lines, electric fan and control, and labor, $3200 might not be that far out of line. I assume a warranty comes with it as well.

As a CA car, I am assuming your air pump is still in place and the compressor will be installed above the alternator. Check to see if the harmonic balancer (pulley on the crankshaft) has an unused groove from the removed AC system.

Could you buy a AC compressor bracket setup from a 280z? I notice the 2.4L in my 240z has threaded bosses on the driver side. I know some cars had air pumps so I assume this is where the bracket mounted but could a 280z compressor bracket mount there too?