IGNORED

AC Installation cost

lcord

Most Vintage Air Dealers - are Custom Car / Hot Rod Shops. They install these systems all the time. I would recommend talking to them before you do anything.

I installed a Vintage Air System in my 72 Z. Installed the Compressor with the 280Z Compressor mount. Installed the Evap. Unit in place of the original heater. Bolted the Condenser in place. Then had the local Hot Rod Shop make the necessary R134 lines between the components. They had the lines made up and everything hooked up in about 4 hours.

The Vintage Air Gen II Super Cooler easily fit in place - once I took the original heater control levers and radio out - I could reach almost everything necessary thru there.

Very unlike the original Dealer Installed Systems that sucked air though the heater system - the Vintage Air System blow air over the evaporator and puts out about 2 to 3 times the volume of cold air.

However - none of the systems equal the A/C found in modern cars. On hot days - if you are going to drive for 15 minutes+ the Vintage Air system will cool the car - but the cold air circulation in the 240Z is very limited. The cold air comes out of the dash - and gets sucked back into the return right under the dash. That huge Greenhouse behind the seats - stays hot for a long time. The cold air only gets sucked back there slowly - as the fresh air vents let the hot air out.

Plus the 240Z's leak air around the doors/windows, have a lot of glass area and poor heat insulation… So if the car sits outside in the Sun for more than an hour or two - it takes a longer trip to cool the car back down.

I see today that Vintage Air actually sells "trunk mounted units". Putting the evaporator unit behind the seats and blowing cold air forward might actually cool the car faster.. That or use two evaporator units, one under the dash and another in the rear deck.

In the end - I just bought a more modern sports car - to use in the Florida Summers. One with great A/C from the factory. I drive the 240Z the other 8 or 9 months of the year without A/C.

FWIW,

Carl B

Edited by Carl Beck

Hello Carl

Thanks for the input. Really good feedback and information. I'll look at the trunk mounted units as well. I also have a 1995 300ZXTT with working AC, so I might end up doing what you do. In the hot summer months pull out the 300ZX and when the weather is nice I can drive the 240Z.

LC

• 7 months later...

My 1972 240z is ready to install an AC System. I already bought the GEN Mini evaporator and Sanden 508 compressor. I have seen cars that have a Fast Idle Control Device. As mine never brought it from Factory, is it necessary to get one? If so where can i purchase this part? I am also afraid that my car engine can get heated with the ac on in traffic jams. Should i install a fan shroud to my champion 2 row race radiator?

• 2 years later...

to get a good working AC in a 240 would require a lot of changes, including ducting. I recall my 240 with the evap mounted down in the passenger side foot area was never very good at dealing with florida heat. The stock fan and duct work just is not designed to flow enough IMHO air for a good result. The biggest beef I have with the aftermarket stuff like vintage air is it seems to delete the vent from the outside. Now my 280 seems to work much better with the evap located just behind the main vents. To get a really good working ac in a 240 and keep all the heating and vents working would take a lot of engineering in my opinion.

For reference, installation of a vintage air system in a 240/280 takes from 50-70 hours to do it properly. Remember, you have to remove the dash, fabricate mountings for all the components, wire and duct run and adapt everything. Custom hose and fittings, drains, etc etc etc. Yes the fresh air vent ducting is a challenge. Full basic Vintage air components are ~$1000 USD. I'd love to know who would do all that including the hardware for $2K....  Not any where near here

31 minutes ago, zKars said:

For reference, installation of a vintage air system in a 240/280 takes from 50-70 hours to do it properly. Remember, you have to remove the dash, fabricate mountings for all the components, wire and duct run and adapt everything. Custom hose and fittings, drains, etc etc etc. Yes the fresh air vent ducting is a challenge. Full basic Vintage air components are ~$1000 USD. I'd love to know who would do all that including the hardware for $2K....  Not any where near here

I just re-read all of your instructions you sent me from last year as I am nearing this part of the restoration.... yeesh...