IGNORED

Too many problems to list...

NoLeafClover

This is the throttle piece that won't turn back to normal after I press the pedal

There should be a spring under the throttle body (at the end of that linkage) that closes the throttle blade. It might be missing, they break sometimes. It's hard to see, it's underneath.

If you haven't yet, open the Engine Fuel chapter from EuroDat's link in Post #2 and look through it. You'll get a better idea of how things work. You've got some study ahead of you though. If you have a multimeter be ready to break it out and start probing.

Here's another good link for the FSM's if you don't have an unzipping program. Index of /FSM/280z

The bolt that's higher than the other one next to it is the one the guy had out more while he drove it and turned it in more and told me that'd make it idle better but I'd lose power.

I put an arrow on your picture. That bolt has nothing to do with any of that. Maybe he was pointing at another?

But, there is no adjustment that will, normally, make the engine idle better, but cause a power loss. That would only be the case if things were messed up.

Your best bet is to assume the guy you bought it from was a BS'er or didn't know what he was doing. The taped up intake hose, the shiny new oil filler cap, red plug wires, painted air box, 4" exhaust tip - all things that cause pause.

Describe one problem at a time and people here can walk you through some of them. I would focus on over-heating first. One overheat can blow your head-gasket and/or warp the head. That's a major expense, and a fairly difficult DIY job.

Back to watching Holland beat up on Brazil....

post-20342-14150829324049_thumb.jpg

If I were you I would go to the dealer and order the rubber tube you need in post #11.Then i would tackle the cooling issue. Most garages have a hand held infra red temp sensor. Check all coolant hoses, this will tell you something. Forget what the temp gauge indicate on the dash. This will be a good starting point.

As I said, he was either BS'ing you by grabbing a loose screw and turning it or you mistook the one he actually turned for that one.

Attached a picture showing the screw position that I think we're talking about. Also noticed that your radiator does not appear to be stock. Could be too small for the engine but certainly a sign of a past cooling problem.

These pictures are from the Cooling chapter. An example of what you'll find in the books. The digital FSM's are one of the great benefits of owning these cars. You don't have to try to communicate with the parts store guys.

Looks like you have a challenge. Keep posting, everybody loves a good puzzle.

Edit - just noticed that you seem to have an electric fan, guessing by the shroud. Another not really necessary "performance" item. If the fan isn't coming on you'll have over-heating problems at slow or no speed.

post-20342-14150829324381_thumb.png

post-20342-14150829324845_thumb.png

Edited by Zed Head

Zed head has covered a lot of ground.

Trying to follow this thread and one thing stands out. TOO MANY problems at once. Try to concentrate on one problem at a time.

You mention that you are not up to speed on the technics of your car. Calm down a bit. Even the best of us don't try to tackle all the problems in one weekend. Better to solve one, celibrate and move on to the next. It won't be long and you will have a reliable DD.

Look at it this way

Problem no. 1: Fan belt keeps falling of. New fan belt, Now you have solved dat problem.:D

Problem no. 2: Pick one and work it through.

Relax, Sounds like you have a lot of energy and the will to do the job, try not to freak out and give up on it.

Good luck

Chas