IGNORED

exhaust question

bart

I recently bought my first Z, which is a 71. The original exhaust and header is still on the car and I would like to replece them, though I will be hanging on to them incase I want to return the car to stock but in the mean time I would like to get something that would give me a little more power. Now here is my question: I was wondering what a good header exhaust combo to get that would give me the best HP increase without breaking the bank. While I don't mind some noise from an exhaust I don't wanna sound like one of them street racers that annoy so many. Does anyone have any favorite online places to shop for exhaust systems?

Thanks in advanced,

Bart

1971 240Z

will not gain you anything in the hp department. you can keep the stock manifold and still get an exhaust system from MSA for about 150 dollars

its a mandrel bent 2.5 inch piped system into a dynomax turbo muffler.

most seem to like that it gives you a little in the hp department and you dont sound like an angry set of bees buzzing down the roadLOL

I'm also getting that one from MSA. I'm also keeping my stock manifold. I didn't really want to mess around with my manifold. Might cuase other problems after or during installation. How much HP did you really need anyway. They're already pretty powerful for what their pulling...

Bart,

Like Zmefly said, you won't gain any HP with a header (unless you really build up the engine), it will only make it louder and headers tend to rust.

Exhaust systems bought from MSA or similar place never seem to fit quite right. I suggest you go to a good muffler shop and have one custom bent for you.

It will fit better, you don't have to go through the agrivation of getting rust in your eyes, and it might be cheaper in the end.

I kept the stock manifold, had 2 1/4 pipes custom bent, ending with a nice turbo muffler. this was about 4 years ago, but I believe it cost me $126.

The car breathes much better, sound agressive, without being obnoxious.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

Marty

The biggest thing you gain with a header over the stock manifold is weight. Headers are mild steel, stock manifolds are Cast Iron. I prefer a good equal length tube 1 5/8 in primary header, 2.5 in mandrel bent pipe and a Borla. Thats what I have run on all of my Z's. And when it comes to headers, you get what you pay for. Clifford, Nismo, or Stahl all build quality headers. The 6-1 header from MSA is not bad with some modification. And Jet Hot coating is worth its weight in Gold.:bunny:

but you will not save any appreciable weight with headers. as a matter of fact some of the headers weigh slightly more the then manifold.

someone known to me has weighed the differences from the section for the F54 setup from headpipe to flange for the cat and it was only 2#difference( ie manifold vs header), still a savings over the header.

the point is that the WEIGHT SAVINGS is NIL over the two, and in some cases, the header WILL WEIGH MORE

F-54 setup in not on a 71. Weight reduction over the stock setup includes removal of the smog pump and all related hardware. HP increases come on the top of the powerband, from both the increased flow dynamics of equal tract length tubing and less drag on the crank.

the question is the difference betweeen headers and stock manifold and its true there is not neglible difference in weight.

with the small amount of articles you are speaking of there is NO significant hp increase, and still on a stock engine the header will not do much of anything in relation to gain power.

that coupled with the fact of the cost of an equal length header, lets face facts after the heart ache and money, id keep the stock manifold hands down

:stupid: :stupid: Well you can keep your heavy, rusting, warping, front and rear manifold bolt breaking piece of cast Iron all you want. I will put on a nice equal length header and not worry about it again:stupid: :stupid:

I see we will have agree to disagree.

A tuned length header or extractors what ever you prefer with big bore primaries and then 2.5 inch secondary piping on a standard or not far off standard engine will normally rob your engine of HP not give you a gain. You need to do a fair bit of head work and flow testing to get a good benefit.

Alan.