IGNORED

New 71 240Z owner!

Already sourced a 5 speed here locally...and had the previous owner had the pedal box already, so I'm on my way....slowly.

Nice! I figured it would probably be a 5 speed but sometimes people go for the stock 4 just to stay original. I'm going with a SX 5 speed swap in my car when the L28 build is done. For now I'm rocking a 4 speed haha

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about it and can't wait to enjoy the car all summer. Looking forward to learning more as I go and being a part of the group here. Robert, yellow would have been my 2nd choice too, but I was very lucky to find such a nice example in orange. The build date is 9/71 and the vin is 43319.

Ryan,

According to Carl Beck's website (240-Z Design and Manufacturing Changes) and the VIN, your car is one of the later Series II cars produced. The last Series II would have been HLS30-45999. Ironically, my car is one of the earliest Series II produced. Since you're swapping out the auto tranny, here's a good write up from Arne: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/tech-pubs-howto/21274-240z-260z-280z-auto-4-5-speed-swap.html

It's great to see another nice 240Z in the Midwest!

Robert S.

Great information Robert, thank you! Just noticed you are from Cedar Rapids...I grew up in Iowa City/West Des Moines.

Nice! I figured it would probably be a 5 speed but sometimes people go for the stock 4 just to stay original. I'm going with a SX 5 speed swap in my car when the L28 build is done. For now I'm rocking a 4 speed haha

I was originally thinking about doing a 4 speed for originality sake, but I really wouldn't mind not revving through the roof when I'm on the freeway.

Edited by blodi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...