IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

Nice work Matt, Couple questions.

How much was the media blasting? And what would have happened if you had delivered the car to them WITHOUT removing the undercoating first? Would the blasting taken care of that, or would the blasting have been ineffective where the tar remained? Was the rest of the car still painted when you dropped it off? I can't tell of it's stripped or silver paint.

This pic of the front rad support... Is that a common rusty area on the Z's? I know some areas are common issues (like floors and doglegs), but I've not seen many pics of that front support.

post-24608-14150828503644_thumb.jpg

nice work haz - thanks for the pics as well. i'm considering building a motor and doing a swap, so seeing your engine bay and supports provides great info.

there are some slick mods that have been done/posted over the years to help out typical problem areas - while you're at it w/the welder, getting mounts set up for a bumper swap to 240 style and shaping your rear valence for your exhaust setup are something to think about. i've seen a couple examples of the rear hatch release welded over and the mechanism either actuated with a solenoid or reversed for a bottom-up system - cleans up the hatch and eliminates another point of entry for water. also a good time to roll the fender edges if you want to use wider tires. i've also seen the antenna and side marker lights closed over - really tidy look there too.

keep posting - LOVE the progress!

Wow thanks for all the comments and support!

Hi and welcome.

Nice work! Did you spray Eastwood frame coating over the rust?

Thanks, yeah the Internal frame coating is a rust encapsulater so its made to go right over rust. Good stuff.

You've got that great trait, do it right the 1st time! I see you have a HUGE garage to keep the Z out of the weather but here's something to look at Grannyknot did and hopefully I'll get it done before paint. Post #12, http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/body-paint-s30/48317-what-do.html

Yea im a strong believer in doing it right the 1st time! Thats an interesting mod he did i'll have to look into that, thanks.

Nice work Matt, Couple questions.

How much was the media blasting? And what would have happened if you had delivered the car to them WITHOUT removing the undercoating first? Would the blasting taken care of that, or would the blasting have been ineffective where the tar remained? Was the rest of the car still painted when you dropped it off? I can't tell of it's stripped or silver paint.

This pic of the front rad support... Is that a common rusty area on the Z's? I know some areas are common issues (like floors and doglegs), but I've not seen many pics of that front support.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71353[/ATTACH]

Hi Captain, the car was actually brown but very faded. The media blaster I went charged by the minute so the more he has to blast off the more expensive. It cost me around $900 for everything. He did tell me that he could get most of the undercoating off but it takes a little more.

Im not sure about the radiator support, I actually havent seen anyone else need to repair it. Mine may have had a radiator leak or something.

Edited by HaZmatt

nice work haz - thanks for the pics as well. i'm considering building a motor and doing a swap, so seeing your engine bay and supports provides great info.

there are some slick mods that have been done/posted over the years to help out typical problem areas - while you're at it w/the welder, getting mounts set up for a bumper swap to 240 style and shaping your rear valence for your exhaust setup are something to think about. i've seen a couple examples of the rear hatch release welded over and the mechanism either actuated with a solenoid or reversed for a bottom-up system - cleans up the hatch and eliminates another point of entry for water. also a good time to roll the fender edges if you want to use wider tires. i've also seen the antenna and side marker lights closed over - really tidy look there too.

keep posting - LOVE the progress!

Thanks rossiz! I debated shaving my rain guards and antenna but decided against it. I will be putting on the 240 bumpers so I shaved the rear bumper bracket holes. Ill post more pics tonight!

Wow! Your doing the body work yourself! Great effort, gives me some hope after all!

Yeah its not as hard as I thought it would be. I was pretty intimidated at first but I watched a few youtube videos and practiced on some scrap metal first. The most important thing is getting your settings dialed in correctly so you're getting good penetration. The rest is just a lot of grinding.