IGNORED

Building A L28 (Na)

TheCrazySwede

I still owe the forum a write-up on my engine, but the short story is that I got there by shaving the P79 and modifying the cam gear and chain guides to get the timing and chain tension right. I make roughly 200 crank hp and my build was done for a very small budget.

I still owe the forum a write-up on my engine, but the short story is that I got there by shaving the P79 and modifying the cam gear and chain guides to get the timing and chain tension right. I make roughly 200 crank hp and my build was done for a very small budget.

Ah, so you guys shave the head? That ups the compression, right?

What else would have to be changed if you shave the head? Would I have to adapt everything to fit the new sized head?

200 to the crank is perfect. I'm not looking for some crazy numbers here. I'm going for the Lotus moto of getting more out of less. :)

Ok, since I'd rather have the better head rather than the head that is known as the "not better" head in terms of operation, are there any reasons why I would want a P90 over a P79 or vice versa? Seems like most people run P79's due to availability. Either one is better than the N42, I assume.

I've read so much, some times material get's scrambled together. What I do know, and have concluded is, if you already have it, keep it and build what you got! The gains are negligible, the differences minute, depending on application. The money saved can go to other aspects of the build to improve the engine. Madkaw was on the right track with his suggestions. Definitely let this motor be your crash course, experience your efforts first. When you get bored of it's "power," You'll already possess the knowledge to go bigger and better.

That's stock? It seems really strong for a stock L28.

It's all stock. I got the car from the original owner. I haven't replaced anything in the car, except for the exhaust. (I replaced the California one with a Federal exhaust. I use the Cali one for smog purposes :D)

I try to keep the engine as healthy as possible. I do plugs, dizzy cap, oil changes and a few other tune-up items every 3-6 months.

It's my daily driver, so everything gets kept well lubricated and operational. I was hoping for at least 120rwhp, so I was really pleased!