Kurbycar32

Just ordered my Rebello 3.0, now what

Is the Maxima flywheel lighter and interchangeable?

The 810/Maxima (L24) flywheel is interchangable. It weighs 8kg compared to the 10kg the Zeds use. Its also a 225mm disc flywheel.

I use my car for street use and don't rev it very hard. The lightened flywheel is the best performance mod I could do with my 280Z running L-Jetronic EFI. Certainly made it zappier around town. The flywheel is now a little lighter than the Maxima flywheel

Chas

I'd guess that Rebello is his machine shop. It's mine and he knows a bit about Z cars so... 8-)
I am half planning on a lightened flywheel through either getting the maxima "frisbee" or having my buddy lighten it himself at his machine shop

EuroDat, some really good info coming from you, thanks! Maybe some would run that 225mm clutch just due to the smaller diameter and potentially lighter weight anyway? That clamping force is based on OEM specs right? Wouldn't it be possible that a high-performance system designed on the 225mm stature might exceed the OEM grip/clamp of a 240mm?

Edited by oranngetang

Considering my situation with an unknown clutch/flywheel, plus bang for the buck factor here is the recommendation depending on what i find in there:

225mm clutch: Grab a Maxima flywheel if you can find one, use a performance clutch like a centerforce

240mm clutch: Optionally machine down the flywheel and use an LUK clutch

EuroDat, some really good info coming from you, thanks! Maybe some would run that 225mm clutch just due to the smaller diameter and potentially lighter weight anyway? That clamping force is based on OEM specs right? Wouldn't it be possible that a high-performance system designed on the 225mm stature might exceed the OEM grip/clamp of a 240mm?

The Maxima would be a good option, but they are getting harder to find these days. The clamping force is OEM spec and you can get an aftermarket performance clutch to match the 240mm clamping force.

A collegue (after restructuring has left the company) had a 260Z and he used a performance clutch (I cant remember the brand) and it was slightly heavier than the 240mm pressure plate. That was just feeling the two, we didn't weigh them, regret that now. Would have been usefull information.

His clutch pedal was a lot heavier after he installed it. My pedal is the same as when I had the 225mm clutch and that is what I wanted to keep. Now I have a heavy duty clutch, but you don't feel the difference.

Chas

Dave's estimate is 260-270hp on this build. I asked again about dyno tuning and confirmed that its going to add about 20% to the cost of my motor so thats out.

I think we will make the same power, and you'll spend about 30% of what mine cost... come on.... get it dyno'd and tuned!

I have the same 3.0 motor. 278HP/260TQ at the crank w/ Triple Mikunis and previous mild head work done. See my profile below to hear what it sounds like... Dave makes solid motors!

Edited by byunique

I have the same 3.0 motor. 278HP/260TQ at the crank w/ Triple Mikunis and previous mild head work done. See my profile below to hear what it sounds like... Dave makes solid motors!

Sweet! That makes me happy. Minus the triples our setup is identical except maybe the muffler, im excited to hear that. you should shoot another one in HD :)

Sweet! That makes me happy. Minus the triples our setup is identical except maybe the muffler, im excited to hear that. you should shoot another one in HD :)

Here's another video which is cleaner, and it does compare what it sounds like with a center muffler if you are considering that. Sorry, didn't look over what was mentioned about exhaust.

Pricing: They seem to have something available for any reasonable budget with options to utilize used parts to cut costs. I happened to have sold my motorcycle for $3500 and that was enough to get me a basic motor with some used parts.

By the way I made a killing on this deal. I had a 65hp motorcycle that I sold and was able to purchase an additional 200hp from the sale for my Z (up from 50, my Z is old and tired) so in the end ill see a 300% profit in HP on that investment

Wow are you kidding, does 3500 include the carb and head work? 270HP for under 4k is really kinda crazy. Man maybe I can afford to build an L6 for my Z. I really want to keep it L6 powered but think I'm gonna be craving more power by next summer, hmm maybe it's to start a go fast savings.

Wow are you kidding, does 3500 include the carb and head work? 270HP for under 4k is really kinda crazy. Man maybe I can afford to build an L6 for my Z. I really want to keep it L6 powered but think I'm gonna be craving more power by next summer, hmm maybe it's to start a go fast savings.

$3500 does NOT get you a 270hp motor, but it was enough to get an basic bored/stroked rebuilt motor with used parts. I added some stuff to that base price like enlarged valves, head porting, carb tweaking.. If you called them up with 4k im sure you could get over 200hp and keep your inline 6.

$3500 does NOT get you a 270hp motor, but it was enough to get an basic bored/stroked rebuilt motor with used parts. I added some stuff to that base price like enlarged valves, head porting, carb tweaking.. If you called them up with 4k im sure you could get over 200hp and keep your inline 6.

Ah alright, I figured it that was too good to be true but till those are comparable to any local shop that has no clue how to build an L6, see what came to mind for me, would be sending a head out to him be built and doing the bottom end myself

Ah alright, I figured it that was too good to be true but till those are comparable to any local shop that has no clue how to build an L6, see what came to mind for me, would be sending a head out to him be built and doing the bottom end myself

Datsun Spirit builds good motors on a budget too. I was looking at an ou can with STR ver.B without a core and shipping to Canada for a fair bit under $5000. I believe the engine itself is under $3500 if you provide a core. You can spend as much as you want, as you can with Rebello. I've read nothing but the highest opinions of Eiji regarding his customer service and engine build quality.

I went with Rebello because I made contact with them first and it sounded like a <3 week completion at the time, also the power figures (or claims), seemed higher per dollar.

If you want huge and cheap power, a stock L28E / L28ET block running higher than stock boost (on the stock turbo) with some head work (which you're doing anyway), will make more power than either of our NA engines.

i strongly considered using Eiji to build my motor after seeing some of his build threads and hearing nothing but good things. I live less than an hour from Rebello and shipping alone was going to save me hundreds. If you must pay for shipping i would contact both companies and do a detailed comparison before pulling the trigger.

If you want huge and cheap power, a stock L28E / L28ET block running higher than stock boost (on the stock turbo) with some head work (which you're doing anyway), will make more power than either of our NA engines.

I was considering that as well, when my brother originally bought the car his plan involved a SBC. Which I too considered, but I feel like would be fun, but could kill the personality of the car. I will have to research the turbo motors some more. am excited to se the outcome of this thread, can't wait to see how the little 260 does, with it's new engine.

Here is what my old 3.0 Rebello stroker motor sounded like with Header and 3 inch exhaust

Here is what my old 3.0 Rebello stroker motor sounded like with Header and 3 inch exhaust

Better than the boobs thread..

On another note the dude with the 2+2 sent me a 225mm flywheel when i specifically asked him for a 240mm, so i have in my possession a flywheel i dont need.

thanks! I was running a lightweight flywheel with centerforce2 clutch at the time. The carbs were bored su's with shaved needles (Rebello rebuilt them).

Yup, that should be damn close to what i ordered. What size flywheel did you go with? and how does that centerforce feel in terms of clutch weight, i intend to daily drive this thing.

I had the "full on" 3.0L with the head work and big cam. I think I used the 225. Pedal feel was stiff, but not like your on a leg press machine haha. I used a braided clutch line and daily drove it from time to time.

On another note the dude with the 2+2 sent me a 225mm flywheel when i specifically asked him for a 240mm, so i have in my possession a flywheel i dont need.

Ouch, sorry I mentioned it now. I don't how he could not see if it was a 240mm. How hard can it be to measure a clutch disc?

Chas