IGNORED

Just ordered my Rebello 3.0, now what

Nice clean garage; mine is a disaster. Dave called last week to let me know the engine is delayed. No crank pulleys in existence from the sounds of it. Ready for the dyno otherwise I believe. Wish I was ready to pull my engine out ;) As is I can't even get wheels on it, to do it.

Things learned after complete tear down:

1. This has a mild cam in it: Schneider 274F

2. Flat top pistons

3. the head is an N42, but there are no fuel injection ports for it. Rebello said they have only seen one or two of these in person, but there are no issues with using it.

That explains why it took me several attempts to get the idle circuit perfect.. It also reinforces my theory that somebody loved this car, I'm guessing in the 90's.

Always seems to be a mystery as to what has been done to cars of this age. Mine appeared to be pretty original with the E31 head and 'A' cam. Still had the air pump, and associated smog thingies. I'm eagerly awaiting word of completion and shipping of my engine; I am really-super-disappointed about the whole process so far. Definitely could have spent my summer-play-fund in so many better ways, and may have bought a lot more engine if it was going to be a next year project. Really hoping the tardy 3.0L is worth the wait and free of headaches.

Things learned after complete tear down:

1. This has a mild cam in it: Schneider 274F

That explains why it took me several attempts to get the idle circuit perfect.. It also reinforces my theory that somebody loved this car, I'm guessing in the 90's.

It's funny that you say that, as it's something I find myself saying alot when working on mine.

Is that cam still nice? I beleive I have stock E30 cam in mine and wouldn't mind something stouter.

I turned it in for core. Everything looked rough when I pulled it. At least one valve was stuck, the valve seats were all wasted, the pistons were pitted, half the threads were stripped in the head. I did find stuff that was once cool, but its all junk now. Before deciding to buy a new motor I inspected this one and did what I could to keep it moving but I was new to Z's and wasnt able to identify specific parts like I can now. This time on teardown i knew what I was looking at

Yeah sounds like your car had a rough go, I think my engines been out before because it's painted gold acording to the lore that followed the car it's was rebuilt in the eighties when much else was done to her. She pulls really hard through all the gears, for a car with 90k that sat for 14 years, so I believe it, I would to crack mine open with a real Z guy on hand and see if it's been warmed up.

• 1 month later...
Any updates on the engine build? Who knew 5 weeks would become 5 months!

Seriously, spitz17 said that in the beginning and was dead on. I had about a 2 month delay due to lack of head availability and then some more delay for me to pull everything and send it in. I got an update last week saying that the components were all ready. The head was done, the block has been done a long time now and they finished my carbs, everything needed to be bolted together. I called just a minute ago and got the same update.

I have been slowly not working on the engine bay in the meantime. I hung a hammock in my back yard on Tuesday and took a nap after a dip in the spa instead, then my daughter brought me a beer without even asking. While holding a (different) beer and staring at the area I determined that there won't be a need for any metal work so its mostly justa scuff and paint situation. My body shop buddy just had a baby so I think the engine bay painting is on hold for a little while. Once I get the motor ill probably stop procrastinating and do the engine bay over a weekend, then install the new motor on another.

On a positive note this is the longest this car has sat still since its been in my possession, including when I first got it and the car didn't run.

It's incredibly disappointing being given a time frame and having it mean nothing. I ordered the engine when there was still snow on the ground, there will now be snow on the ground again when it arrives... The car will now take another calendar year to complete, I missed the events I wanted the car to attend this summer, AND I know this is going to somehow cause an issue with my current conflict between my ride height and GC... Since I cannot drive or see where it sits with a complete drivetrain in it...

I'd take my money back at anytime at this point.