IGNORED

Just ordered my Rebello 3.0, now what

Are the flywheels themselves actually different? I was under the impression that as long as the clutch friction disc and pressure plate mated up, they could be bolted onto any flywheel. My understanding is the only curve ball would be whether or not the correct clutch collars are being used for the correct application.

The flywheels are different on two points:

1: There is a groove in the surface just outside the clutch disc contact area on both flywheels. On the 225mm it starts around 228mm which is in the contact area of the 240 clutch disc. The groove is too deep to machine out.

2: The 240mm pressure plate has 9 bolts holding it down and the 225mm has 6 bolts. The 6 bolts will line up on the 240mm flywheel so in theory you could drill the other three holes in the 225mm flywheel to fit the 240mm pressure plate, but then you would still have the groove to deal with.

The collor for the 280Z/ZX 2+2 is the one you want for the 240mm pressure plate. Its 4 mm shorter than the normal 280Z collar, but longer than the 240Z series 1 and the later 240Z / 260Z collars.

Chas

I think this is the thread you were speaking of.

Lightening the flywheel

I wouldn't get too carried away with taking meat off the stock flywheel unless your machine shop has done this a fair bit. There engines rev pretty high, and I'd hate to think about what the aftermath of a failed flywheel would be. Especially if you were really cruising, in a busy place. Is the Maxima flywheel lighter and interchangeable?

I'd guess that Rebello is his machine shop. It's mine and he knows a bit about Z cars so... 8-)

Is the Maxima flywheel lighter and interchangeable?

The 810/Maxima (L24) flywheel is interchangable. It weighs 8kg compared to the 10kg the Zeds use. Its also a 225mm disc flywheel.

I use my car for street use and don't rev it very hard. The lightened flywheel is the best performance mod I could do with my 280Z running L-Jetronic EFI. Certainly made it zappier around town. The flywheel is now a little lighter than the Maxima flywheel

Chas

I'd guess that Rebello is his machine shop. It's mine and he knows a bit about Z cars so... 8-)
I am half planning on a lightened flywheel through either getting the maxima "frisbee" or having my buddy lighten it himself at his machine shop

EuroDat, some really good info coming from you, thanks! Maybe some would run that 225mm clutch just due to the smaller diameter and potentially lighter weight anyway? That clamping force is based on OEM specs right? Wouldn't it be possible that a high-performance system designed on the 225mm stature might exceed the OEM grip/clamp of a 240mm?

Edited by oranngetang

Considering my situation with an unknown clutch/flywheel, plus bang for the buck factor here is the recommendation depending on what i find in there:

225mm clutch: Grab a Maxima flywheel if you can find one, use a performance clutch like a centerforce

240mm clutch: Optionally machine down the flywheel and use an LUK clutch

EuroDat, some really good info coming from you, thanks! Maybe some would run that 225mm clutch just due to the smaller diameter and potentially lighter weight anyway? That clamping force is based on OEM specs right? Wouldn't it be possible that a high-performance system designed on the 225mm stature might exceed the OEM grip/clamp of a 240mm?

The Maxima would be a good option, but they are getting harder to find these days. The clamping force is OEM spec and you can get an aftermarket performance clutch to match the 240mm clamping force.

A collegue (after restructuring has left the company) had a 260Z and he used a performance clutch (I cant remember the brand) and it was slightly heavier than the 240mm pressure plate. That was just feeling the two, we didn't weigh them, regret that now. Would have been usefull information.

His clutch pedal was a lot heavier after he installed it. My pedal is the same as when I had the 225mm clutch and that is what I wanted to keep. Now I have a heavy duty clutch, but you don't feel the difference.

Chas

I have the same 3.0 motor. 278HP/260TQ at the crank w/ Triple Mikunis and previous mild head work done. See my profile below to hear what it sounds like... Dave makes solid motors!

Edited by byunique

I have the same 3.0 motor. 278HP/260TQ at the crank w/ Triple Mikunis and previous mild head work done. See my profile below to hear what it sounds like... Dave makes solid motors!

Sweet! That makes me happy. Minus the triples our setup is identical except maybe the muffler, im excited to hear that. you should shoot another one in HD :)

Sweet! That makes me happy. Minus the triples our setup is identical except maybe the muffler, im excited to hear that. you should shoot another one in HD :)

Here's another video which is cleaner, and it does compare what it sounds like with a center muffler if you are considering that. Sorry, didn't look over what was mentioned about exhaust.