IGNORED

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

Captain Obvious

Okay, this is awesome. My next two questions are:

Where do we source parts? From what I can tell, the only things you can replace are the boots (OEM or aftermarket), pinion bearing (SKF 6003-2rs1 / Koyo 6003rs), and the seal (SKF 6641 / Timken 221735).

How do I figure out if I even need to do this. I have the rack out and am refreshing the suspension. I'm replacing the boots and inner tie rod ends (Real Parts RP26575) for posterity. The rack seems like a big project, but I think now is the time to do it. If the parts above are findable, I think I can pull this off (if I have someone pull and press the bearing for me), but I'm hesitating.

Yes, that is a lock nut. You thread the tie rod end onto the end of the rack and then tighten the locknut against it to lock the end in place. In that pic, the locknut had been backed off the tie rod end a turn or two. That's why there is a small gap between the tie rod end and the locknut.

I think my style of tie rod end (round with the weld spots on it) is the original factory design. If yours had multiple flats on the sides and wasn't welded together, I think it was replaced at some point.

No MINE is original OEM. Haha!!

Matt, I would be surprised if the bearings really needed to be replaced as it's not a high load application. Even so, I think pulling the whole thing apart is a good idea to clean out the gummed up crusty grease and make sure everything is working as intended.

As for taking it apart, I'd be glad to give you a hand if you wanted to make the trip to my place. It's not as bad as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yes, that is a lock nut. You thread the tie rod end onto the end of the rack and then tighten the locknut against it to lock the end in place. In that pic, the locknut had been backed off the tie rod end a turn or two. That's why there is a small gap between the tie rod end and the locknut.

I think my style of tie rod end (round with the weld spots on it) is the original factory design. If yours had multiple flats on the sides and wasn't welded together, I think it was replaced at some point.

No MINE is original OEM. Haha!!

Interesting. Maybe Nissan made some other design as well?  Mine came apart too. I was just shocked to see the original sticker still on mine. 

Matt, I would be surprised if the bearings really needed to be replaced as it's not a high load application. Even so, I think pulling the whole thing apart is a good idea to clean out the gummed up crusty grease and make sure everything is working as intended.
As for taking it apart, I'd be glad to give you a hand if you wanted to make the trip to my place. It's not as bad as it sounds.

I might take you up on this.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 9:30 AM, Captain Obvious said:

My PO had screwed these plug bolts into the inner tie rod grease port. More on those bolts later, but the bottom line is they should have never been there in the first place. So take the bolts out:
rack10.JPG

What did you end up doing with these grease ports and bolts?

On 10/8/2017 at 9:26 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Here's a shot of the shot in the rack. Note the smooth rounded fillets in the corners:

rack5.JPG

One more.... what is the purpose of the small plastic plug under the driver side bushing? White in your picture here.

My concern is, I plan to powder coat this part...

I actually don't know the purpose of the plug that you point out on the rack although I had the same on the racks that I have rebuilt.  I guess that it may have been something used in manufacturing for perhaps the initial greasing of the assembly but needed to be plugged for actual use.

Having said that I have powder coated multiple racks like this without any issue. I just left the plug in tact during the powder coat process.

Mike.