IGNORED

Vintage Rubber, still in business??? Epic Service FAIL

bhbarr

Thanks Les... long story but ny "helpful" neighbor saw it on my porch, put it in his garage and forgot about it! GRRRRRR... Still.... I did not get a response from Vintage Rubber. I'll be installing the seals in a couple of weeks. My travel schedule is killng m Datsun fun!

I for one, want to take this opportunity to personally thank each and everyone of the many individuals who have been brave enough (fine line between bravery and stupidity, ain't it?), to take the giant leap into the abyss of starting and running a Datsun parts or service "business". Given the kinds of criticism that started this thread, and in countless other ones across the spectrum of Datsun space, I'm surprised anyone has bothered.

Whether you did it out of the raw will to help, the prayer of maybe adding to your families bottom line to make their lives a little better, or maybe just because you like making stuff, and thought you'd share, or whatever your motivation, I can tell you, my life is better because of your efforts. My car goes faster, looks better, and in a hundred other small ways, I have been able to improve it through access to parts and ideas that are now available.

I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of other people here can relate in the same way.

Did you get the parts quickly? Were they cheap? Were they perfect? Did they come with a warrantee? Nope. Are you dang glad someone made it available so you Z could be better? Yup!

So if you want to scrounging bits and pieces from junk yards, cobble things together from junk found under your work bench, pay random machinest $$$ to make things you just can't find, then just keep up the kind of feedback that started this thread.

Another distinction I want to point out. Unless I missed something, the large majority of the folks who have stepped up to do this, are "family" members, ie Datsun owners. Even the big players, like CDM (Les) MSA (Greg) and Futofab (Dave) for example, are run by true long term Datsun nuts. How come I know their first names? Cause they're FAMILY!!!! Are there any "outsiders" running a Datsun parts business because of the lucrative nature of Datsun restoration? NO! Well, maybe Black Dragon... I have no idea who runs that place. Get it????? Support your family.

Let me also say, being part of a family is a two way street. All you parts and service suppliers, do everything you can to let us know who you are, what you stand for, what's up in your lives, and keep in constant communication with your customers, er, family members, here and directly. If we know your Grampa's sick and you're taking care of him, we suddenly don't care if our widget is two weeks late. We're more likely to senda card, and maybe chicken soup.

Is there some place that sends soup anywhere, like FTD or flowers.com ? Is there one for beer? Now THAT would be useful.

Take care of each other, the rest just happens.

Used the vintage rubber on my car and was very pleased. Very good quality.

Had two left side door seals in my kit, called Randy and was taken care of promptly.

Tough gig running a niche business like this, people seem to have Walmart price expectations but Rolls Royce quality and service needs.

I appreciate all the family sentiment. We are a family... but some family members need a little "shove" now and then... some family members meddle too much... and some family members get it just right.

But... businesses fail because of poor customer service, I know because I have failed in business paying attention to product and not service. Cost value relationship is part of every purchase decision. Prompt delivery and service keep people coming back.

I started another and it is successful. It allows me to have my hobbies including the 240z. Do not assume I don't appreciate what these entrepreneurs are doing for the Datsun community. If you read carefully, I offered to source weather seals from a longstanding supplier in the NC area, known for quality and service. They have mass solutions and one-off solutions. I know this from past experience. Need a door seal for 1 of 26 Cunningham C3's ever built? They have a profile that works. I'll bet they have most profiles for Z-cars but they don't specifically list Datsun kits.

Specific to my situation. Randy/Vintage Rubber did not call me after emails and calls to them. I have no idea why. That is a fact. I had an order confirmation email, that was all. My neighbor being helpful and forgetful made it worse. With the facts revealed, the product was delivered in a reasonable timeframe, but with no communication. I lacked confidence in the company and posted my opinion.

That is the last word, at least mine, on this matter.

Carry on.

• 1 year later...

Quite annoyed, placed and online order on 1/12/14 and received confirmation. I have called and emailed an nobody replies... not a great way to run a business. Next step report to PayPal and have my lawyer send a letter.

So... if MSA stuff is too big and I don't want to do the "see what fits" thing... I am going to Steele Rubber her in NC and see if I can get them to help make 240Z weatherstrip profiles. PM if interested.

I have sent several e-mails to Vintage Rubber and nobody answers. The product is advertised as the best quality but if you do not get service then it aint worth it!

I have sent several e-mails to Vintage Rubber and nobody answers. The product is advertised as the best quality but if you do not get service then it aint worth it!

Have you tired calling?  Some of these businesses aren't too big on the emails things, they are old school and too busy to bother with them.  A phone call is harder to ignore.  

Whether the communication is lacking or not, their product quality is superb and well worth the effort.  It took about a month for me to receive my door seals, but once installed they worked as they should, my doors closed properly and there is no slamming required.  

• Like 1

Have you tired calling?  Some of these businesses aren't too big on the emails things, they are old school and too busy to bother with them.  A phone call is harder to ignore.  

Whether the communication is lacking or not, their product quality is superb and well worth the effort.  It took about a month for me to receive my door seals, but once installed they worked as they should, my doors closed properly and there is no slamming required.  

Ill try calling!! 3 e-mails and no response!!!

I couldn't agree more......I was very, very happy with their door seals. Mine arrived quickly.......very happy with Vintage Rubber.....call 'em on the phone

• 1 month later...

I ordered their 240z door weatherstripping a month or so back from their website and it came within a week.

Never did get notification it was shipped, it just showed up.

So no problems as far a getting the product.

Steve