IGNORED

H4 headlight replacement

Akir-ra

Originally posted by aRCH-Z

Do you mean the actual H4 lighting assembly or the bulb?

the bulbs are from a volvo dealer (uber mates rates - autobarn jack the price of those things up so much its crazy! I got a set of two for like $10)

the assembly I can't remember.. Can check when I get home but I dont think they're hella..

On a 240z parts car I bought.. it had Hella H4 assemblies (as in the cone, glass, etc) but I've long since thrown all that out (they were cracked, etc)

Have you tried the ones you got yet?

I havent tried them yet, as I dont have an engine or electrical system :)

I mean the assembly I guess.

yeah - an engine, etc always helps :D

hehehe

The benefits over the standard sealed beam lights are more then worth any effort involved in putting in at least just a H4 kit..

I've done the conversion to both my Zs, but have taken it further with my current one installing the relays, better bulbs, etc..

the white lights may not suit everyone.. but the standard H4 upgrade alone is well worth it!

I assume the relay connection is just battery, headlight switch and headlight? Hide it somewhere and tuck the wiring away as neat as possible?

I might try and cut and shut the instrument panel/switches from the dash of whatever front cut i choose into the zed dash, should make it extra fun too.

• 2 months later...

This is for those that have done the relay conversion for upgrading your lights:

Where di you get the relays? What brand, style, part numbers?

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the relays to even get started. Seems most of the local parts houses don't carry relays (other than turn signal or wiper relays). If you ask them, they just look at you :cross-eye !

Anybody have any suggestions where I could go? Online stores even?

I have a set of the Hella H4's sitting on a shelf because I already melted a low/high beam switch a few years ago. And I hate dim lights!

Have you tried looking at Radio Shack? I don't know that they still carry them for certain, but that would be the first place I would check.

Our local Radio Shack sure scaled back on carrying electrical components. All they seem to care about these days is selling TVs and cell phones.

I have the H4 conversion from MSA. I believe that they have three different types. I have the non-DOT approved set with the pre-mounted city-light bulb. I'm pretty sure they came with a 55w/45w bulb, and the guy at MSA suggested that I didn't run anything higher. They are a lot brighter than the original still.

the h4 conversion is really easy and well worth it just for the fact that you get the ability to change globes and not complete head lights when you blow a globe

All you have to do is remove headlights put in new h4 cone and glass with new globe i use 100w /65 w

fit relays in the circuit to reduce load on switches (well worth doing for the age of the switches anyway)

Have tried th new ultra white globes but they where cheap chinese copies and apart from being white light i thought they where dimmer than the standard h4 globes.

Mick

I agree the H4 conversion is definitely the way to go, but I want to run the higher wattage bulbs. I want to make sure that the other zombies in their boxes-on-wheels see me and don't hit me! So, that means I need the relays.

Mayhem, I have already been to that site and yes it has a wealth of information, except where to buy relays, unless you buy from them. And since I'm a mechanical person on a shoe-string budget, I have a hard time buying things outright that I could make on my own.

Still the question stands....(other than Radio Shack, which I will check out today) Where can I buy automotive relays?

They dont have to be "automotive" relays, they just have to suit your current/volatge requirements. Im not sure about names of stores in the states, but there should be a wealth of electronic component stores.

You should have an equivalent to something like this:

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4068&CATID=&keywords=relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=xxxxxxxxxx&Keyword2=xxxxxxxxxx&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

and from my guess the maximum current a headlight will draw will be under 15A@12V, as arent they usually under 160W??

I know ADVANCE AUTO sells them right off the floor, but drunkenmaster is correct. As long as they fit the requirements they don't have to be "auto relays".

drunkenmaster, nice link.:D