IGNORED

Off to ontario!

northernz

Hey Guys, been busy so I haven't updated the thread for a while! The car is STILL in the body shop! I'm supposed to be getting pictures soon, but nothing so far. It's going to be 3 to 4 weeks to put together once it's painted so looking at first week or two of June, maybe! I'm very frustrated by the body shop lack of apparent progress, I did not expect this when I started. They've had it for 4 months!!! At least the snow will have stopped by the time it is ready.

Will post pics once I get them.

Mark

In the car restoration business, there is NOTHING more common, and frustrating, than body shop delays.

Someday I will understand this issue better and learn how to better control it, or maybe just learn that there are some things you cannot change.

Maybe home renovation contractors are worse, but I think they are all suffer from over promise, under deliver, and poor communication of the realities of the business. They are both victims of "you'll never guess what we found when we removed the old paint (body man) / walls (contractor)".

Hang in there, it will all turn out great in the end. Patience grasshopper....

Jim, you're right, of course! I should have expected it. The frustrating part is not knowing how far along they are. I don't know what they found when they cut out the dog legs, maybe they haven't even gotten there yet, who knows?! I know the bad weather meant they had a lot of insurance business over the winter so I guess I have to cut them some slack.

It is frustrating though, our driving season is going to be short enough as it is! On the plus side , I haven't given the body shop a dime yet, so maybe I have some leverage! Mike at White Head is dealing with them, I'm sure he is frustrated too. Stand by for updates!

Mark: I dropped mine off at the bodyshop in May and he said about a month to do the work. It was delivered to me in Oct. It was frustrating to wait that long, but I could not be happier with the end results. Once you are driving it back you will quickly forget about any frustrations while waiting.

Dan

Body shop's use restoration as filler work.

The money is in collision work.

I had my car at my brothers shop and made myself such a pain in the #ss that he got it done just to stop me from crying:cry:

He also let me work on it myself and it still took 3 months.

He has a old VW bug in the one bay and it has not been touched for two months because people do not drive well in the winter.

Never tell a body shop that you are not in a hurry.

Casey

Mark: I dropped mine off at the bodyshop in May and he said about a month to do the work. It was delivered to me in Oct. It was frustrating to wait that long, but I could not be happier with the end results. Once you are driving it back you will quickly forget about any frustrations while waiting.

Dan

What are you talking about? It did take a month to do! It just occured over a 6 month period in between doing real work. See what I mean about communication problems?

And congrats on the successful arrival at the new digs! Digging life on the coast?

Jim, you're right, of course! I should have expected it. The frustrating part is not knowing how far along they are. I don't know what they found when they cut out the dog legs, maybe they haven't even gotten there yet, who knows?! I know the bad weather meant they had a lot of insurance business over the winter so I guess I have to cut them some slack.

It is frustrating though, our driving season is going to be short enough as it is! On the plus side , I haven't given the body shop a dime yet, so maybe I have some leverage! Mike at White Head is dealing with them, I'm sure he is frustrated too. Stand by for updates!

Hi northernz!Nice project! I understand what you are going through. Bodyshops will do collision work before anything because it keeps the business going. My car has been in the bodyshop for almost 3 years!! Alot of contributing factors at the bodyshop, such as, more than usual collision work, more than expected rust/damage repairs on my car, employee shortage, and high end customers taking time away from my car. It's quite upsetting because its not like I'm short on funds. I'm hoping to get my car out of the bodyshop this summer. Would be nice to see your car. I'm in Edmonton as well.

Three years!!! I'd go insane! Is the shop you're using in Edmonton?I hope to have the car back in time for the Z meet at Mills Nissan in July, so maybe I'll see you there. I'm also planning to do some track days at Castrol Racewayand maybe some autocross events, we'll have to see once I get it back.

Mark

The bodyshop I'm using is more or less in edmonton. St.albert to be exact its called redline custom autobody in edmonton. They do great work though. For taking so long, they have given me a discount though. . I'm hoping if I get my car back this summer, I'll have it out for next summer. Hope I can catch your car at the car show.

What are you talking about? It did take a month to do! It just occured over a 6 month period in between doing real work. See what I mean about communication problems?

And congrats on the successful arrival at the new digs! Digging life on the coast?

Not trying to hijack Marks thread, but yes I am quite digging life on the coast. Its like I'm on vacation full time. The Z made it here without a scratch or rock chip. Not bad for being pulled behind a 26 foot U-haul for around 900 kms.

Not trying to hijack Marks thread, but yes I am quite digging life on the coast. Its like I'm on vacation full time. The Z made it here without a scratch or rock chip. Not bad for being pulled behind a 26 foot U-haul for around 900 kms.

FYI you should come down to the Sechelt during the Sleepy Hollow run & show in August. We have a summer place over there and I will put my car in the show. This is one of the best car shows / weekends ever and if you're in the area it shouldn't been missed. Again, sorry for treading over the OP's thread...