IGNORED

Rack and pinion U-bolt clamp ? 71Z

timsz

I think if the car rode over an obstacle the first impact (after the radiator lower bulkhead) would be with the front pieces stuck out of the crossmember that hold the steering rack. If these protrusions were bent up, that bracket would prevent the rack from rotating and jamming the U joints in the steering column.

Interesting. I just took pictures of my car and a par ts car. The 1/70 model is missing the clamp and the 1/72 model has it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68231[/ATTACH]

I know the 1/70 car was raced, don't know if they had any problems with it though even if they did they might not have known the corrective action.

1/70 might have been before they added them. I looked at some series I cars that don't have them and I did not see any indication they ever had one. As you can see with your car the coloring of the shaft is different from the bracket. I'd add the part when you find one it is good insurance,

John, do you know how it affects feel/feedback? It doesn't affect lateral stiffness of the rack, only rotational stiffness (if that). Any idea what were the customer complaints that it addressed?

It would seem that any axial rotation of the rack would be absorbed by the multiple joints in the steering shaft, and wouldn't be perceived by the driver.

Mike, any chance you can take some measurements and some pics while you have it off? I need to make one for my car

Thanks,

Chris

grannyknot,

I will post some measurements and pics. I will need to be able to duplicate where it is on my parts car anyway to be sure I get it on my driver car properly. If I post info and you see that you need additional info guide me on what would be helpful. I hope I can get it off okay.

Mike

grannyknot,

These are all the measurements I could think of, let me know if there are other measurements that might help. I noticed one of the bolts has more threads than the other but as far as I can tell there is no significance associated with that. I wirewheeled the part to make it easier to see.

Distance from rack mount to clamp 24MM:

post-18366-14150826801942_thumb.jpg

Rubber clearance to crossmember:

post-18366-14150826803385_thumb.jpg

Bolt size, length of long piece:

post-18366-14150826802503_thumb.jpg

Bolt center to center distance 43.8MM by eyeballing caliper:

post-18366-14150826801429_thumb.jpg

I am no expert on hardware but the nuts on the clamp appear to be peened. I noticed they took a little force to get off:

post-18366-14150826802979_thumb.jpg

Outside measurement bolt to bolt 51.9MM:

post-18366-14150826803942_thumb.jpg

Width, length and height of long piece:

post-18366-14150826804202_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikes Z car
spelling

Crhis,

You are welcome. It would be interesting if someone would look at the clamp on their car to see how close the rubber is to the crossmember. Good observation, maybe to be effective it should be closer to the crossmember because it would kick in sooner that way.

Edited by Mikes Z car