IGNORED

I open myself for you criticism!

ksechler

Actually I think you have done really well for the amount of work you have completed. If you have any kind of life at all 6 months is not bad. I only get one or two weekends a month to work on my project cars so it takes a lot of time to make any progress. I have done about the same amount of work on 2 different cars but the difference is it has taken me years not months :)

C

Nice work, you are one of the few like myself that would jump in this deep just to keep one more z out of the crusher. I am currently at the same stage as you with my 280, I agree that it is less painfull to just find a rust free shell(what most would do) but you can't beat the education,experience that you get buy doing what you are doing. My hat goes off to you,wish there were more like us. I noticed you are using the same eastwood mig i am,great little machine for the price.Good luck from here on in.

This is encouraging to me right now. The Datsun's ok but my old truck is a rust bucket with too good of a motor to get rid of. Wish I had a place to work and the welding skill to do it like that. But I don't so I'm stuck with phosphoric acid and fiberglass. Spent most of today fishing out chunks of rust with a magnet on a piece of wire.

• Like 1

No criticism here. When I did mine there was only a fraction of what you have undertaken. Outstanding work! I have to ask though, are going to treat the insides of the Rockers and Frame Rails (Upper and Lower)? I treated mine by drilling access holes and spraying Phosphoric Acid with a wand, followed up with Heavy Duty Rust Preventative from Eastwood. Kinda like the old Ziebart system - except DIY. Post more Pics!!

• 2 weeks later...
No criticism here. When I did mine there was only a fraction of what you have undertaken. Outstanding work! I have to ask though, are going to treat the insides of the Rockers and Frame Rails (Upper and Lower)? I treated mine by drilling access holes and spraying Phosphoric Acid with a wand, followed up with Heavy Duty Rust Preventative from Eastwood. Kinda like the old Ziebart system - except DIY. Post more Pics!!

Yes, thanks for bringing that up. I bought a wand and have the rust inhibitor. I have removed all of the rust I could reach and sealed those areas. I will drill and treat the rockers once I get all of the blasting media out of there. It would be a shame to go through this just to have it rust out again.

Thanks all for the comments.

More pictures. I am flaring the fenders. The 225's I'm using rub. Might as well fix it now. I cut away some of the fender lip. Added a flare, but I don't want the bolt on look. Since this is a full restoration this is the perfect time to do this work.

post-23182-14150826330045_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826330768_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826331369_thumb.jpg

post-23182-1415082633197_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826332588_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826333179_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826334304_thumb.jpg

post-23182-1415082633608_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826336685_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150826337302_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I forgot about this post.  Wow!  I've done a lot since then, and I need to update this.  Maybe later tonight I'll start.  Funny, I actually reworked a lot of stuff shown here.  For example, the home fabbed rocker front section I cut off and replaced with the front of a formed rocker repair panel.  The flares... didn't like how I had done them.  Took them off and started over (still in progress).  The pink bondo on the dogleg?  Stripped it off and redid it (right this time).  

The seam sealer is Eastwood's brushable seam sealer.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-seam-sealer-quart.html

I'm a big fan of Eastwood.  They have some real nice stuff.  Here are a few favorites:

Their body filler is awesome.  Sands really nicely:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-premium-body-filler.html

These are worth every penny!

http://www.eastwood.com/quick-mix-board.html

Use this for places you can't reach

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

• Like 1