IGNORED

Floors welded in, with regret

CEgg11

Floor work sucks and it's hard on the body. You probably got what you paid for- a structural fix, just not too pretty. As long as its sound, then seal it up well and good to go. I think I spent 50+ hours on some floors and charged 1000$ plus, but the floors looked pretty damn close to original.

Sure you didn't make things worse by pre cutting the floor. If I was the welder I would have taken a slight exception to that.

I am under a pretty strict, though reasonable, budget. No extra money to buy a welder, which I wouldn't use again after this job anyway. The car is suprisingly solid for a car that had to get floors put in..battery tray good, rockers good, hatch deck good, etc. It didn't have a hood, but I had an extra. It did have a welded diff in it - it was going to be someone's drag car.

I used the new floor as a template, and left a good margin on all sides. I really didn't NEED to replace the whole passenger side - it just had a lot of smaller holes in it, and I thought better to replace the whole sheet of metal. This guy didn't seem to mind the hole I cut. I went back by last night, and the real pisser is that this guy didn't cut back enough on the drivers side, and just lapped over the bad metal with good, so I'll have to go back in and cut the rest out. Grr.

There's an old saying my Dad used to use: You can have it Good, Fast or Cheap..........but not all at once! You chose Cheap, so you being surprised at getting a crappy job done is ironic. There's NO way anyone should leave gaps - especially of that massive size - in anything, anywhere, on a car. It's even MORE wrong to suggest you can seal it with Bondo - he jumped to the top rung of "HACK" with that comment!

If I were you - with your level of experience - I would either buy a welder and learn to do it right, or pay someone to do it right. You'll save money doing it yourself, but time with someone else (in theory).

In my biz I say" cheap repair jobs ain't good and good repair jobs ain't cheap"

Funny how people who say" i'm not a good welder" have never welded or tried only one or two times, some of my first welds looked like I was not a good welder either. Now I am a good not great welder.

Edited by nix240z