Sign in to follow this  
bartsscooterservice

mechanical throttle linkage, what's the problem ?

As I indicated earlier, I took my carbs off and have been going through the linkage bits to ensure everything is working properly. Besides discovering that my carb heat tube was completely plugged I found that the Nylon bushings of the bell crank were super snug on the support shaft. I had to pry the bottom one off, its like they shrunk down over the years. I ordered some new ones from MS and they turn like butter.

I remember back in the day I worked in a Z car junk yard, and I had every make an model at my disposal. So I mixed and matched pieces from 240's 260's, 280's and Maybe even 280ZX's and solved it 95%, but it seemed that the last pivot above the throttle linkage had the most amount of resistance. If you can duplicate that last item with a set of teflon lined heim joints (spherical rod end bearing) that makes a BIG difference. Also, if you have the resources to press the factory bushing out of the intake manifold boss and bore it out to accept a needle bearing and seal from a parts shop, that might solve all of your problems.

But many above are correct, the beginning of the travel for the factory linkage is a bit over-center and it makes the initial depressing of the throttle abrupt if the pivots are not lubed properly.

I 100% stock is your goal, I remember graphite on the bronze bushing in the manifold/carb helped. A filling each nylon cup with synthetic lube helped quite a bit.

Also you could have an oilite bushing machined by a local machinist pretty cheap, then pres it in the factory location. The raw bushing material can be purchased from McMaster Carr.

HUZZAH!

Good for you man! Way to work through an issue!

Yeah..it really works perfect now. It was like new carbs mounted...and when I pressed the pedal with running engine my jaw dropped to the floor on the difference it made...