IGNORED

SU Sightglasses available (see fuel bowl levels)

Jarvo2

Dave:

Well DUH on me. I get the fluid level in both sides of the U tube part, it was the "just where are you hooking it up" part that eluded me. There are 3 nipples on an SU bowl of course not two, I neglected the one on the bottom as connection point for your site tube. Thanks for the clarification. This does remove the issue with some bowls not having the drain plug. I like it!

Blue, the idea of a permanent site glass right in the side of the bowl! Now that's brilliant! Nice simple 1/4 NPT. The glass center seems to be about 3/8 in diameter, ~ 10 mm which is plenty to see the level. Just make sure it doesn't protrude too far into the bowl and interfere with the float. Install it on the engine side of the bowls or on the ends, so you still have a chance to see the level with the air cleaner in place.

Edited by zKars

No! really? You mean there may be a good reason I kept a set of flat tops? They aren't just to hold the bbq cover on in a wind storm?

Cute story. I went to the site Blue posted and tried to buy two site glasses via their online store. $6.62 each. Got to the checkout. Guess how much the shipping quote was ? (CA to Alberta). $102 US..... I was about to throw my hands up and JB weld a scrap piece of clear plexi over a drilled hole when this revelation about site glasses on flat tops comes up. Nothing like OEM parts. Even though I might have JB weld that site glass to a round top fuel bowl :)

Thank's capt'n!

Edited by zKars

Here's mine, from ztherapy: post-24191-14150824370436_thumb.jpg It works ok but I'm thinking maybe install a permanent one, maybe one of these:McMaster-Carr Happy reading !

Also, I got some new float bowl gaskets and stuck them to the bowl with the blue stuff on the bowl side. They're doing fine and I had to remove the reinstall the lids on both carbs about 10 times to get them more or less right. It would help to have an adjuster screw or something on the tang on the float to make it easier to adjust, but at least once they're set they should stay that way, unless the needle valves get bad or the fuel pressure changes.

What carb is that Cap'n?

Haha! Yeah, that's the sight glass from a "boat anchor" flat top. Just one of the many improvements they made to the Cro-Magnon antiquated round top design. (Where's my hornet's nest smiley...?) :) Seems that what's old is new again?

No! really? You mean there may be a good reason I kept a set of flat tops? They aren't just to hold the bbq cover on in a wind storm? Thank's capt'n!

My pleasure JK. I've taken those sight glasses out before. They are real glass (I wouldn't use plexi for gasoline), and are pretty thick. They are sealed by one O-ring that gets squished up against the face of the glass disk when you tighten the screws. Use Buna-N (or Viton if you can find it).

$102 shipping. That's rude. Would you like me to order some of those sight glasses for you and send them to you? The screw in types would probably be easier to mod into the round top bowls than the ones from the flat tops.

cappy, seems like Mr Phil is getting me some, but thanks for the offer!

After looking at my bbq anchors it wouldn't be simple to adapt those site glasses to the round bowls. Man they went to a lot of work to mount them.