IGNORED

Antenna Rebuild / Restore

JLPurcell

Just to help anyone thinking of straightening their kinked antenna like I did here's some pointers.

The pipe sections of the original antenna are chrome plated brass so you can work it with a small hammer and heat if you're careful.

I used a flat anvil and a very small hammer.

I placed the pipe kink on the anvil with the corners facing vertically and began "tapping" it with the hammer lightly to flatten the points that formed when the main pipe was bent and creased.

I squirted a bunch of WD-40 down the hole where the cable comes out and pushed on the next size pipe to try and get it into the kinked section of the larger pipe.

More hammering and more twisting and forcing of the smaller pipe until it finally slipped in.

Then with the smaller pipe in place I hammered around the whole kink tring to round it out.

Then I pulled the smaller pipe back and placed two strips of blue masking tape on the anvil about 1" apart and built up about 4 layers each.

Then I turned the pipe so that the kink was facing down and started hammering on the back of the pipe to try and get it straighter.

The tape allows the pipe to bend in the area of the kink .030" and no more.

I kept trying to feed the smaller pipe in but it was still a tight fit.

I pushed the small pipe in and rotated the kink under the PP torch for a couple of seconds to heat just that area a bit.

I worked the small pipe in and out and it loosened up.

I heated it again then rolled and hammered the kinked section on the anvil as I tried to bend it back even straighter.

Use caution when heating the pipe since you can melt the Nylon cord and damage it with too much heat!

I finally put the end of the second pipe right at the kink and gave it some heat then worked it in and out.

That really loosened it up, there may be a plastic piece on the small pipe that deformed a bit, not sure.

After the heat treatment I just kept hammering and pushing on the smaller pipe untill the pipe was striaght and the second pipe slipped in and out easily.

That's about it.

• 2 months later...

• 1 year later...

I am working on the antenna mast finisher nut plastic part. Plan on doing this in both a hard plastic and a shore 90A urethane type.

This is a sample I machined for casting.

attachicon.gif62997.attach

Nix 240z,

Any updates on reproducing the antenna mast finisher nut plastic part

Edited by ericzx

• 2 years later...

Looking for antenna parts again, I am working on a project for a member. Any parts out there, you are willing to part with? Specifically I definitely need the exterior finish retaining nut with the plastic cap. Anyone know of a source? Thanks for your help with this. JLP 

ant 2.JPG

ant 3.JPG

I reworked the plastic replacement cap for the finishing nut last week. As you can see it has a paper thin ring that goes down into the finisher nut along with a star looking washer. It fits perfectly even with the star looking washer inside the cap. Should be available to order in the next week. 

antenna.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mike B said:

Mike, yes it is. I have been in contact with the seller. The problem with that one is the method for mounting seems a little if'y. You simply cut off the old one and trim down the metal retainers and glue that one in place. I will try it if I do not find a better option. I have a good one on my car and one spare. I am restoring an antenna for one of our members which needs a replacement. Thanks for taking interest in this post. JLP

3 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

Mike, yes it is. I have been in contact with the seller. The problem with that one is the method for mounting seems a little if'y. You simply cut off the old one and trim down the metal retainers and glue that one in place. I will try it if I do not find a better option. I have a good one on my car and one spare. I am restoring an antenna for one of our members which needs a replacement. Thanks for taking interest in this post. JLP

I am making a batch of new ones this week. The only difference is that the reproduction is a little wider at the top by about 0.5mm. The original is .035" and my reproduction is .055" wide. The only thing you need to do is get the old top out of the finisher nut and install the new along with original star looking washer( metal retainer).  Other than the small size difference, it is a perfect fit and look. It is also nice and tight around the antenna mast. 

original is on the left and reproduction is on the right.

antenna2.jpg