IGNORED

What year is mine & what badges?

joe71

My Z doesn't have the rear deck boxes or the built-in boxes behind the seats. That hardware was missing when I bought the car 26 years ago. However, the jack and tire tools were attached to (original-looking) brackets and fasteners that are on both sides behind the seats. I always assumed that the storage boxes were retained by this hardware.

Could someone (KMack) send pictures of what the "plastic box" mounting hardware and brackets should look like? I could send pictures as well if it would help.

I am becoming glad that I did not plan to do an "as original" restoration but I still would like to know how the car was outfitted in the beginning. According to Carl Beck's info my 4/71 car is definitely a Series II model. Other strange things are that I have seat backs with the metal vents and with the Round plastic adjusters (series I), not levers. But then it has the push button seat belt clasps (series II). I don't see why the seats would have had to be replaced on a 4 yr old or less car? At least the engine/head/body SNs all seem correct.

Regardless, the car is still special to me as I have had it so long and am still married to the woman I started going out with when I bought it.

Randy

I'm copying the following from the article at

www.zhome.com

Specifically:

http://zhome.com/History/New71Late.htm

==================================================

Contributed by: Carl Beck & Elliot Welz.

Last Up Date 15 Feb., 2001

The "Series I" Datsun 240Z's were produced between Oct. 1969 and Jan. 1971. This production period covered two Model Years (1970 & 1971). However Datsun did not implement design or production changes based on Model Years, but rather on

Calendar Years durring this period.

So with the begining of the Calendar Year 1971 Datsun introduced what they refered to as the "New 1971 late model Datsun 240Z Sports". We refer to these as "Series II" Z Cars.

Listed below is a summary of the design/production changes incorporated in the "Series II" 240-Z's. This information was published in a Datsun Factory Service Bulletin dated: Febuary 1971, VOL. 137. According to this Service Bulletin the changes

were to be put into production with HLS30 21001 and HS30 0501.

Copies of this Service Bullentin were contributed

by: Elliot Welz, ZCOOR #115

Summary of changes:

BODY:

1. Ventilation Air Outlets- Change in fresh air ventilation system outlets to rear quarter panels from decklid

2. Two Step Door Check Link>. holds doors open, was full open, now full and half open)

3. Seat Belt Release changed from latch to button, and hangers from seat to rear panel

4. Reversible Key-for starter, steering lock and glove box.

5. Steering Wheel- has punched out holes, they were indents

6. Center Vent Defuser- redesigned and add vertical deflectors

7. Sun Visor - enlarged by about 1" in length

8. Tool Storage- moved to rear deck pockets

9. Reclining/Flip Forward Seat - Lever replaces round knob

CHASSIS:

1. Tire Specification - from 175SR14 to 175HR14

BODY ELECTRICAL:

1. Speedometer- starts at "0" mph instead of 20MPH

2. Oil Pressure Gauge recalibrated

3. Map Light- hood added to map lamp to reduce glare

4. Windshield Wipers - speed up from 68 strokes per minute to 75 spm on "High" speed.

5. Defogger Switch -- changed to include warring light

6. Tail Light Assy- now has four bulbs instead of three

7. Headlight harness changed to prevent electro-chemical attach on lamp terminals

Here's another important tid-bit on the issue:

1971 HLS30 018000 thru 051583 (I added a "0" to 1800 to correct what's at zhome)

Notable VIN Month Highlights

HLS30 019889 01 Last of Series One Body Style (rear hatch vents).

HLS30 21001 First of Series II Body Style

= omitted =

HLS30 48863 10 Last 1971 Model Year Car Build (HLS30 51583 latest reported so far). 1972 Model Year - HLS30 48863 (earliest reported so far). Flip Forward Seats, New Hub Caps, Center Console Redesigned, gas tank door latch eliminated, 5 inch wide wheels made standard, new 4sp. trans. design, rear end moved rearward 35mm (about 1.5 inches).

11 Pockets added to floor pan for Auto Seat Belt Retractors

This is also from Zhome.com

Specifically the Production Changes from 69 to 73. I only selected a couple items due to relevance to this posting.

My 71 Datsun 240Z AT was manufactured 9/71 and it is indeed a Series II 1971. My car has the center console with the ash tray / fuse cover combination up front under the radio. The coin box behind the defrost switch and the knobs for the seats. Yet, when you go to the wiring some of it is from the 72 run.

What I'm saying is that if your manufacture date is close to the end of a given "style" or option run, it is possible that you will have mixed items. The key is to investigate and know for yourself what is what and buy accordingly.

RandyC's anomalies may be explained in any accidents the car may have been involved in. The front and the rear may have been replaced, and not necessarily at the same time. As a result the discrepancy between the good work in back and the not so good work in front could be a simple dealer versus non-dealer repair.

If your car was brought over late 4/71 - 5/71 it is very possible that the repair panels in the warehouse were STILL the Series I. Remember, they wouldn't have necessarily considered a need for replacement panels so soon after a change, when the change was only cosmetic as far as the panel is concerned. Additionally, they wouldn't have shipped all those panels back to Japan just to have them scrapped, they would have used them. Check behind the plastic panels for evidence of a new weld line. That will probably tell you more.

Your seats and seat belts are in line with the production up until 10/71. Mine also has the vents and the round knob for the seats as well as the push button seat belts.

Hope this helps.

Well, all I can say is there must be a very intersesting story as to how your car could have ended up with 2 different quarter panels. If you ever find out how let us hear "the rest of the story"! I do know this, if it is in good shape it sounds like it is worth keeping quite a bit longer, it sure is a bit of a mystery.

Yes, the tool storage boxes were behind the seats on the series 1 cars only, I have a series 2 (rusted out and only good for parts) that has them in the floor. I'm not sure of it's build date. If I had a digital camera I would post pictures of the ones in my series 1 which are in excellent shape. Santa didn't bring me the camera only a scanner so by the time I get the pictures developed someone else will have them posted.

To Kmack, I have a friend here that has a series 1 with an 11/70 build date. His Vin is 1028 less than mine. So by that his was built in early November and mine came a couple weeks later. So between late November and January that's roughly 3,000 cars.

It's ironic that he and I have been friends for 20 odd years and we both end up with series 1 cars with Vin's so close. If it weren't for him I probably never would have gotten interested in Z's. Plus the fact he and I raced together (with each others cars,long story). He bought his brand new and I got mine from my doctor here in town after he owned it for 6 years and put about 1500 miles on it.

You know, I just re-read RandyC's posts and got to thinking maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. It is possible he has a series 1 that has a series 2 quarter that was put on by mistake. He has too many similarities to a series 1 for it to be the other way around.

So, first thing is for you to confirm your Vin numbers. Check the one above the brake booster first, this will be the one that is darn near impossible to change. If I'm right it will not match the one on the door frame that says you have a 4/71 build date. It could be that the left rear was damaged and for whatever reason the wrong plate was put on the car after it was done. If all the vin#'s match we are back to square one again. Check the dash plate, the one on the right strut tower under the hood, the one on the firewall and see if they match the one on the door frame. The one on the door frame is the only one that gives the build date.

As far as how to fix it if it is a series 1, ouch, that's going to take some work. As far as I know the complete rear quarters are not available any more unless someone knows where you can get a new one, if not it's time to go hunting the junkyards.

By the way the tool boxes behind the seats aren't really boxes. They are a cover for the tools that mount to the bulkhead more or less, not a true box. When you said you don't have the tool compartments and lids in the floor that is what got me thinking we were looking at this the wrong way.

Thank You EScanlon for the latest post

EScanlon made some excellent observations about the quarter panel replacement and fender being replaced at different times...makes very good sense that way. I will be taking off the interior panels soon and will inspect the inside welds for "quality" as well.

I appreciate the observations about my console, seats and ash tray/coin tray/fuse cover. It sounds like the 9/71 model is configured identically to my 4/71 car! Most of the changes posted between the 2 series are otherwise in line with what I have although I still don't know exactly what the "Tool Storage- moved to rear deck pockets" should look like.

With this latest information I really only have to consider that some body panels were replaced in its existence before my ownership and not that someone made a Series 1.5 car out of mine somewhere along the line!

Appreciate all you guys help...I've learned more about my Z in the last week I've been on this site than I have in the last 26 years of ownership! Also just received my Z-Car CD ROMs in the mail yesterday (Thank You Mike) and look forward to seeing how all the bits & pieces are "supposed" to go together.

Randy

What they mean by the tool sorage being moved to the deck pockets is this, if you have carpet that is split for the deck, and you pick it up and find two doors in the deck. They are small cubby holes in what was empty space on the series 1 cars.

There is one thing I didn't see in Carl's list, and that is the gas door being one that has a latch on the series 1's while the series 2's don't!

Please be sure to check out your Vin numbers carefully, we may find the solution yet.

>I still don't know exactly what the "Tool Storage- moved to rear deck pockets" should look like.

The tool storage compartments in the Series I were not compartments in the true sense of the word. They were Plastic Covers that hinged from a floor bracket to the vertical steel that comprises the rear axle "step". The tools, handle, rod and the wrench were put in a bag and the jack was mounted below. The cover just hinged up and hid it from view. Think of the tray table in an airplane and you get the general idea. The covers had 3 sides as well as the face of the cover. The fourth side was where the hinge went. One side was bigger than the other, but don't recall which.

When they did away with the Series I Tool Storage, what they did was cut two holes on the floor of the rear deck, closest to the seats, and put a pair of hinged covers with a latch that you turned to open it. The space directly behind the seats was no longer used for tool storage at all, the tool storage was now hidden underneath the floor carpeting on the rear deck.

To determine if your car is a Series I or II, just look at the rear deck floor, underneat the rug, closest to the seats. If you have a pair of openings with lids in there, then you have a Series II, if no openings, then a Series I.

From what you posted earlier, I would say that you had a Series I based on the Tool Storage being mounted on brackets behind the seats. (Another Tell-Tale Sign.)

However, we have to remember this. No car manufacturer as far as I know, would have a clear cut THIS serial number is the last one and THIS NEXT serial number is the first one, when it comes to a complete set of changes as the Series I and II were. More than likely, as your car indicates and so does mine, they change through attrition of old stock. My console has the fuse cover / ash tray combination ONLY found in the 70 and EARLY 71's. That's the console with the defog switch and coin box back behind the shifter. I also have the Tool Compartments in the floor of the rear deck. My wiring harness has the fuel pump wiring but no fuel pump, (indicative of a late 71, 72 model). Yet the dash does NOT have the indent for the decal to the left of the hazard switch, yet my cigar lighter is mounted above the hazard switch (indicating an early 71). My seats are the KNOB style and not the LEVER style. My doors do have the two stage open mechanism. My vents are on the roof pillar and I don't have any vents on the hatch. Yet, I still have the 3 piece hatch seal, which is shortly going to be replaced with a one piece.

The bottom line on this is that you won't be able to determine a DEFINITIVE demarcation on Series I VIN # and Series II VIN #. You are going to find that close to that "change over" VIN and Production Month, you will have "hybrids". Those vehicles are the trickiest to find parts for, as YOU have to keep track of what you have.

Wish I could give you a good set of "Rules of Thumb" to go by, but I don't. Probably the best thing to do is to order one of the Microfiche CD's from here and spend some time identifying what parts you have and which ones do and don't apply to your vehicle.

Bottom line, since your vehicle has already been set up with the vents in the hatch, go with that setup. Get the "240Z" emblem for your roof pillars and get the vents for the hatch. Remember, what YOU do for your car is what is half the fun of owning it.

Just my 2¢

Ok.....for all those interested in what series car I really have I am going to make a long post identifying each of the changes that a Series 2 car should have compared to what my car has. The more I hear from you all and research this the more special my car becomes; at least to me :-). Useful information includes my DOM of 4/71 and my SN of 27878. The SN is duplicated on the plate under the right strut cap (which also matches my engine SN) and on the plate on the LS door frame and on the LS under the windshield.

Please just leave now if you don't have the time or the stomach for this much useless Z drivel.......

2ManyZs (which I don't think you can have!), KMack and Escanlon primarily have contributed to my understanding of how my car became the unique Z that it is. I am going to cut and paste from EScanlon's msg on S1 to S2 changes......

Start cut and paste: Notable VIN Month Highlights HLS30 019889 01 Last of Series One Body Style (rear hatch vents).

Re: My car does not have the vents in the lower portion of the rear hatch.

1. Ventilation Air Outlets- Change in fresh air ventilation system outlets to rear quarter panels from decklid

Re: As you know my LS quarter panel has the vent and the RS quarter panel does not

2. Two Step Door Check .... holds doors open, was full open, now full and half open)

Re: Mine has this intermediate detent

3. Seat Belt Release changed from latch to button, and hangers from seat to rear panel

Re: Mine has both of these features

4. Reversible Key-for starter, steering lock and glove box.

Re: Mine has this

5. Steering Wheel has punched out holes

Re: Ditto

6. Center Vent Defuser- redesigned and add vertical deflectors

Re: Ditto

7. Sun Visor - enlarged by about 1" in length

Re: Don't know but mine are 5-1/4" in "depth"

8. Tool Storage- moved to rear deck pockets

Re: My rear deck pockets are covered with sheet metal that has numerous ~2" dia holes cut over them (lightening?)

9. Reclining/Flip Forward Seat - Lever replaces round knob

Re: I have the round knob and slight reclining of seat back

CHASSIS:

1. Tire Specification - from 175SR14 to 175HR14

Re: The tires on the car when I got it were 175SR14 (skinny!)

BODY ELECTRICAL:

1. Speedometer- starts at "0" mph instead of 20MPH

Re: Mine starts at "0" but was usually way higher than that when the engine was running!

2. Oil Pressure Gauge recalibrated

Re: Don't know the specific of this but gauge reads "0" to "90" on scale and runs at about 50 psi

3. Map Light- hood added to map lamp to reduce glare

Re: I have the hood

4. Windshield Wipers - speed up from 68 strokes per minute to 75 spm on "High" speed.

Re: Don't know but seems that change is insignificant

5. Defogger Switch -- changed to include warring light

Re: I have the light

6. Tail Light Assy- now has four bulbs instead of three

Re: Mine has 4 builds

7. Headlight harness changed to prevent electro-chemical attack on lamp terminals

Re: Hard to tell but mine still work (in fact all lights still work)

8) HLS30 48863 10 Last 1971 Model Year Car Build (HLS30 51583 latest reported so far). 1972 Model Year - HLS30 48863 (earliest reported so far). Flip Forward Seats, New Hub Caps, Center Console Redesigned, gas tank door latch eliminated, 5 inch wide wheels made standard, new 4sp. trans. design, rear end moved rearward 35mm (about 1.5 inches).

Re: Mine does not have flip forward seats, did have the new hub caps, has the redesigned center console (I have the coin pocket and light......), I have the gas tank door latch as a non-locking chromed (turns 90 degrees CW to open) knob, had/(have one as spare) the 5" wheels, not sure yet on tranny (will have out later this wknd), and don't know about the rear end movement.

9) 11 Pockets added to floor pan for Auto Seat Belt Retractors

Re: Don' t have the pockets

10) Indent for the decal to the left of the hazard switch

Re: Mine does not have this and the aux power outlet is on the right side of the cover over the fuse box

11) 3 piece hatch seal

Re: Mine had this (it has disintegrated) but I am replacing with ???

That is the last of the comparison for now. I await the combined wisdom of the Internet Z Club for a response..............

Randy

Well, this one is beyond me. It is a shame there is no one with the resources like Galen Govier has with Mopar, to have factory build notes and the like on Datsuns. This one would be the kind of thing that would make their life interesting.

I hope someone like Carl Beck can figure this out, because I don't have a clue now.

P.S. Yes, it's possible to have 2 many Z's. I built a two car garage for the two I had then bought two more cars, guess I'll have to add some more space to the garage.

• 1 month later...

kmack -

my car with the round 240z emblems and rear hatch vents is a production date of 1/71 with a vin of hls 30 19296. one of the last series 1 cars.

now i'm looking for the rear hatch vents and 2 more original "d" hubcaps.

oh, sure some trim pieces would be nice, but i just replaced the su's with webers and my bank account is still reeling from that hit!