Sign in to follow this  
dltalfa

To stripe or not to stripe????

I'd like everyone's opinion.

I have a white 1972 240z. It has slotted mags and black interior. I orderd the black "240Z" side stipes almost a year ago, (right after I had it painted). I keep planning on installing them,...but everytime I plan to start,..I look at the car in plain form and back out.

At other times, I feel the car looks too bland and I think the stripe would "jazz" it up a little.

I look at the gallery and see several of the Z's with the stripe and I really like it.

I may end up selling it in another year or two,..so i should factor sale-ability into the equation too.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. Should I install the stripe or not.

Edited by dltalfa

You asked one of those questions that only you, as the owner, can answer. I suppose if you really can't decide and it totally bugs the snot out of you, you could stripe the driver's side and leave the passenger side plain. :)

Dennis

You asked one of those questions that only you, as the owner, can answer. I suppose if you really can't decide and it totally bugs the snot out of you, you could stripe the driver's side and leave the passenger side plain. :)

Dennis

Yea,...but I guess you could say I was polling the public opinion.

I like the stripes that came on my Z, and the trim... and the chrome... and the more stripes... and the oh god so many little dealer option thingies....

post-21373-14150823507514_thumb.jpg

Another vote for "no stripes" from the stylish American South. :-) Such a lovely body needs no embellishments.

I like the original stripes on mine but the ones they sale now I do not like, the ones that have the open block style "240Z". So when I can afford to repaint it'll be stripe-less. No more Starsky & Hutch. :disappoin

Haha, Starsky & Hutch was a great show in the day. dltalfa, I feel your pain. Its the same as doing minor mods to the exterior of the Z like I did 20 years ago. Now I wish I had left it original. Take some painters tape and tape them on one side for the day. Maybe that will help you decide.

Haha, Starsky & Hutch was a great show in the day. dltalfa, I feel your pain. Its the same as doing minor mods to the exterior of the Z like I did 20 years ago. Now I wish I had left it original. Take some painters tape and tape them on one side for the day. Maybe that will help you decide.

I have gone to the web and saved several pictures of white casr with the black stripe. I have looked at them over and over. While I like the look myself,...I'm trying to verify the thoughts of other Z owners.

Let's face it,...every molested Z we see on eBay was done by someone who "thought it look good to them". We all wish they had gotten other peoples opinion before they made those mods.

I understand that it should be done however I like,...but as I posted earlier, I know that I will be selling it some day and I dont want to do anything to minimize the resale value.

I like the stripes, but I'm with SiteUnSeen. I call the two types of stripes the 240Z-Positive and the 240Z-Negative (as in film negatives). I like the 240Z-Negative, where the 240Z are cut out of the stripe so the body color shows through. See the pics. First one is the 240Z-Negative. Second one is the 240Z-Positive.

post-19216-14150823508498_thumb.jpg

post-19216-14150823508614_thumb.jpg

post-7454-1415082350881_thumb.jpgI believe that the stripes shorten the look of the body and I like that look. The original factory accessory stripe kit part # 99990-00105 was the stripe with the 240Z cut out of the middle stripe with the body color forming the "240Z" I had an original kit and had a vendor reproduce these for me.

If you go with the stripe, your choice. My vote would be for the original stripe look. The newer one just has the unfinished look about it.

There is a product called Plasti Dip that comes in a spray can. It is made to spray onto a car, and then when you get tired of it, you peel it off. I'm not sure if they have gloss black but I know they have a flat black. Many of the flat painted cars you see these days (Including Ferraris and Maseratis) are using this product.

Yea,...but I guess you could say I was polling the public opinion.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear in my original response to your question. If you're looking for public opinion, you're going to find that opinions are like belly buttons - everyone has one. Those who have stripes on their cars will really like them a lot and those who don't have stripes probably don't have them for what they feel is a very good reason.

Like I earlier suggested, stripe just one side and live with it for a while. Most people won't realize only one side is striped. See which side you prefer after a given period of time. Then, either add a stripe to the other side or peel off the existing strip. QED

Most Zs don't have the side stripes which indicates most people prefer a Z without stripes. That doesn't mean side stripes are bad, it just means some people like them and most prefer the plain look. As an easily changed cosmetic addition, stripes shouldn't greatly alter value or observer appreciation.

Dennis

From currently "dark" (it's almost 9PM), SF Bay Area, I personally like the look of the "negative" stripe on a white car.

It's a period correct accessory item and easily removed, so you need not worry about what a "purist" might think.

My advice, since you already have a stripe, try it and see if you like it. If not, remove it. It's your car, so do what you want!

STRIPES for sho!

I'm putting Dark Grey "BRE" stripes on my silver car.

from my cold canadian basement...

I Say go with the stripes. negative or positive style, I think they both compliment the body shape.

I`ve always liked those stripes,, and it`ll help with the ``hey buddy,,nice corvette`` or `hey buddy,, nice 280zx`comments.

Even though the 280 didn't come with stripes, I like them on mine, but to each his own.

I dig it, a lot. With the white and your wheels and the rubber on your bumpers it looks perfect. The stripes on the red and blue cars dont look nearly as neat, maybe it has a lot to do with body color.