IGNORED

New look- flares and mirrors

madkaw

I'm running 17x 8.5 rotas with +4 offset and 245/45 / 17 tires all the way around. I'd like to run 275's or bigger in the back.

My rears rub on the inner fender-not lip- so rolling isn't going to help.

I've already ventured from the stock look, so this is just another step.

Steve -

Not trying to hijack the thread but have you thought about putting a 4:11 in for a diff - I'm running a Nissan R180 3.90 currently and thinking of upgrading to the Subaru LSD. Was the conversion to the Subaru LSD difficult/expensive? Have you had a discussion on that conversion within the forum that I may have missed? Already thinking of next years projects!

No problem. I have not considered 4.11 gears-if anything I might go back to 3.70's. With my BW T-5 trans the first 2 gears are low and wouldn't want any lower.

It couldn't be easier to do this swap. The STI diff I have I aquired for 350.00$-quite a steal compared to the Nissan r200 LSD. Now the axles are a bit pricey(500.00), but excellent quality and come from our fellow Zers on these sites. Didn't know if you knew that Todd at Wolfcreek is now selling them.

Installing it is the same as installing any r-180.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update for Chris who was looking for this thread. I am still very happy with the mirrors. You don't know how much you appreciate visibility until you were without it for a while.

By the way- the flares are a no go. I couldn't cut my car up.

Hey Steve, I have had these same mirrors on for the past 16 years and have had no issues. I love them. The mirror cases are painted the same color as the car which you can see in my avatar. Can't wait to see the finished product on the flares.

Though it seems hard to see them, I will have to take another pic and post.

Edited by rcb280z

• 1 month later...

I talked to Steve/Madkaw the other day and asked if I could add to his thread, "feel free" was the answer.

I bought my Vitaloni mirrors mostly because of this thread and I hated all the other mirrors I looked at.

I got them on ebay for $100 plus $21 shipping, honestly I wasn't expecting too much because the of the reasonable price.

I'll post the name of the seller if anyone wants it, good guy.

I am very impressed with the quality and design of these mirrors so I thought I would add some close ups and how to info.

post-26437-14150825441112_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825441352_thumb.jpg

Base detail, post-26437-14150825442124_thumb.jpg

Save yourself the heartache and repairs and just start with a small drill and build up to the final 5/16th drill.

You may even be able to use your existing holes, there is lots of wiggle room on the base plate.

Also make sure you use the plastic insert plugs, they help reduce the vibration.

post-26437-14150825442829_thumb.jpg

Vibration is no more than the inside rear view mirror and there is no whistling.

post-26437-14150825440528_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825440874_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825441635_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825441872_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825442357_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150825442595_thumb.jpg

Whoa! After years? Decades? I finally see a mirror that really looks and performs great. Most mirrors offered by MSA and others are crap. Think I got mine at Checkers (O'Rielly) after I had the car repainted...they are less than adequate to lousy.

Comment: It would seem as bolts through the door with backing plate like OEM would be way stronger. I can see bumping into it (me or some other bozo) and it rips out. A couple of sheet metal screws do not hold much. I know it's a PITA to take apart the door panels and stuff and deal with the backing plate that you can only really install by feel. Comments?