IGNORED

Cowl - Top Inner rust repair

bpilati

That might be wise.

Well I jus did, because after some heavy raining my floors are wet. ( First I thought it was the sunroof, which I sealed shut " temp fix " before repaint and removal ).

I removed the cowl, and there was dirt on both sides, clogging the water flowing outwards on both sides. No dirt in the exit tubes, but near the lowest points, and this made the water stand in the middle and along the seams. The air intake thing or how it's called seems intact some slight surface rust. But I will have to let it dry up to look carefully where its leaking :(

It seems there's no easy way to acces some parts of the air intake tube, so I will need to cut open the " little roof " that's hanging above it ?

Edited by bartsscooterservice

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61572[/ATTACH]

Here's what I found yesterday after removing the black rubber compound that apparently filled this area with at the factory. There is another smaller hole at the other end of this crevice. Looks like removal of the air intake duct in this photo will be part of the solution. This hole is actually a bit larger than it appears here. Once I started scraping around there was more rotted area.

I think mine is leaking also on that spot, I can't see it really good right now because that plate is above the air intake for preventing the rain from going in. I also have the factory seal still on it, but like you it might be leaking under there...

Bart,

There are six or seven spot welds around the intake cover. Drill those out and the cover will come out in one piece. You still won't have great access to the area between the vent stack and the firewall but with a good light you can see most of it. I did this on a restoration so I could seal all that up and epoxy prime those areas.

Charles

@ hr369, yes that seam ! When I look with a flash light on the inside driver side firewall, I can see that seam is wett on the inside. ( maybe because the water couldn't drain properly to the sides and was along the seam all the time ? )

I'm currently getting everything dry and then will see what to do, maybe I just need to reseal everything again.

@ Patcon, thanks for the tip, I will have a look for those spotwelds.

Okay, I drilled out the spot welds to remove the intake cover thing. And found out that water was blocked from going out, some previous owner put alot of extra sealant in the area infront of the air intake, which blocks the outflow of water to the right side :( The left side was open but blocked with dirt. Also found the factory seal around the air intake on the firewall side to thick, working as a sort of dam to hold the water in to a higher level..

I'm going to remove the old seals, and reseal it, keeping in mind the water outflow. Hopefully it works.

Here's some pictures from what's going on

dx1lqf.jpg

2w6bc0g.jpg

20zzkue.jpg

110hh5i.jpg

2w4meki.jpg

This last picture, the right bottom is the area that was blocked with sealant and dirt. In the picture 75% is removed allready.

2z9mzh5.jpg

Okay, I drilled out the spot welds to remove the intake cover thing. And found out that water was blocked from going out, some previous owner put alot of extra sealant in the area infront of the air intake, which blocks the outflow of water to the right side :( The left side was open but blocked with dirt. Also found the factory seal around the air intake on the firewall side to thick, working as a sort of dam to hold the water in to a higher level..

I'm going to remove the old seals, and reseal it, keeping in mind the water outflow. Hopefully it works.

Here's some pictures from what's going on

dx1lqf.jpg

2w6bc0g.jpg

20zzkue.jpg

110hh5i.jpg

2w4meki.jpg

This last picture, the right bottom is the area that was blocked with sealant and dirt. In the picture 75% is removed allready.

2z9mzh5.jpg

Looks like you have your work cut out for you too. Let me know how it goes for you.

Yeah.. it's a pain to get into the small area's though :sick:

Currently I'm informing what to use....

I found a product called Gummil from Canada, it's sold here, and I e-mailed them with these pictures, and they said it can be used for this application to seal it from water. Just remove all the lose rust, and degrease, then apply 2 coats. 1 litre about 40 euro. I'm going to order it, and see how it does.

It's a rubber coating, applied with brush.

Metaalbescherming met Gummil Premium vloeibaar rubber

Bart,

The car I am working on has the same sealant around the intake hat. I believe that black sealant is the factory sealant. It was piled up thick like yours was on the fire wall side. I used 3m seam sealer to seal up all of the cowl area seams and to go over the factory sealant around the hat.

Charles