IGNORED

Fitting 240Z bumpers and Valences to a 280Z

EuroDat

It would work. I think it would be a little lower than the 240Z bumper centerline. That is because the shock mounting bolts are, all except the top rear bolt, under the shock. And the thicker bumper has a lower centerline making the shock position lower.

You could probably overcome that problem with brackets. One thing to take into consideration if you would do that is the bumper mounts are further towards the center. I wanted to close the gap behind the grill, but these brackets stopped me from doing that. That is why I made the brackets for under the 280Z indicators.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update. I have not had a lot of time to work on the Zed lating. Work has been buzy as well and everytime I want to make the threaded blocks, someone else was using the mill.

Ill tack weld the block to the test plate and test its position. Then I can make a jig to fully weld the bolt with a thicker plate.

Found a tow eye the right length. Its from a Renault Clio. The Clio is about the same weight range as the 280Z, so it should be strong enough. It should protrude about 60mm out past the bumper.

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

Fitted the block in place with a couple of tack welds to check if all the dimmensions were good. I made a couple of adjustments and now ready for the final template.

I liked Mikes idea with the 370Z design, but ended up going with this idea for two reasons.

1: I can fit it without removing the bumper, air-dam and grill again.

2: Fitting it would be challenging. You need to fit it between the two frame rails. It would have to be a perfect fit to avoid distorting the frame. For example; If you made it 5mm smaller to aid fitting or it contracted during welding, it would pull the frame rails closer together.

I would have chose this design if the bolts were on the front of the frame instead of the side.

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

12 hours ago, wheee! said:

Do you think this could be modified to support the 240Z bumper too?

It would be easy to add the extra bracket for the bumper. Im using a modified 240Z grill that goes the full width of the opening and all the way down to the air-dam. A bumper bracket from this location would not work or I would have to shorten two bars.

That is why Im using special brackets from under the 280Z turn indicators. These brackets work with or without the 280Z indicators.

If you retain the 280Z grill, it would work fine from this (280Z bumper shock) position.

Edited by EuroDat
Typo

Here are some photo's of the moskups when I was trying different prototypes. The bracket for the bumper follows a similar line as the original bracket on the early 240Z. 

It wouldn't be much more work to add the bumper brackets to the towing bracket.

BumperBracket-3.jpg

BumperBracket-4.JPG

BumperBracket-5.jpg

I like the idea of reusing the bumper shock mount as the new 240 bumper mount. Mainly because the factory designed that as an impact zone. I like the looks of tour new plate that incorporates a tow hook mount too. If the two could be combined (a bumper mount and tow hook mount) using the bumper shock mount location you are using now, that would be a win win!

It is a Canadian company selling in American dollars.... most businesses do that now to make extra profit... I would offer him less as he is now making 30% more than he did 6 months ago by selling at US prices and having Cdn costs.... my two cents anyways...