IGNORED

Hls30-24140

ksbeta

Does anyone know WHY Nissan made the angle of the half shafts out of 90* on the series 1 cars? It seems like most other issues were thoroughly contemplated, but to go out of their way to have the rear end shifted forward is odd.

Did they want a shorter wheelbase for handling purposes?

Just curious.

Halfshaft angles do not affect wheelbase.

I have zero factual info on why. I can only guess it had something to do with packaging and/or parts/tooling-availability.

You definitely went the right way with the tires. I ran Toyo tires on my 1995 Z28 the entire time I owned it. At some point, the tire was slashed down to the metal on one of the rear tires (still don't know if I ran over a razor blade, or if someone......). Anyway, I ran the tires for another year with the slash. Never leaked a drop and never gave out. Toyo demands respect.... :)

post-21817-14150823408095_thumb.jpg

Not the greatest shot in the world, but got the carbs mocked up, along with the VC back from powder coating.

I have the short Mikuni manifold. I forgot what a PITA it is to get studs in the top of that thing. I think we cut some studs short before to enable ourselves to fit the nut in the manifold. Did these kits originally come with custom length studs? Otherwise, the Wolf Creek-restored carbs look right at home.

Sean, Thanks for stopping by. This car will be a little while yet, but the '70 is very, very close.

Peter, it wasn't fun. I used a sanding attachment on the dremel and was very, very careful. I'm not thrilled with the result, but I have yet to polish the bare aluminum. I'm hoping that continues to improve the results. ASCO had to powder coat this particular one 3-4 different times, from what they tell me. The result is ok, but the other VC (for the '70) turned out much crisper. Impurities in Aluminum during the baking process or something similar.

• 2 months later...

Busy spring with yard/house projects, but got some work done Sunday. Carbs finally setup, ignition system installed, along with the fuel pump back in the rear. Went with the MSD 6A, and a Carter fuel pump

post-21817-14150824363532_thumb.jpg

Brake Master Cylinder isn't bolted on yet, but that's the later-style 15/16" cylinder. Had to modify the BMC a lot to get it to fit the 240z booster, as discussed here. We'll see how they work together, along with the Toyota calipers up front.

post-21817-14150824362828_thumb.jpg

Edited by ksbeta