IGNORED

Hls30-24140

ksbeta

Bill.....Doesn't matter whether it is an "A" 4 speed, "B" 4 speed or 280Z or 280ZX 4 or 5 speed tranny (they are all the same dimensions).......If you have a series I that doesn't have the updated conversion (series 2 diff hanger, flipped mustache bar and late diff mount and longer driveshaft) you have to use the short driveshaft. If you add those four items, you'll move the diff back so the half shafts aren't angular.That's why the factory changed that on series II cars....it got rid of the vibration from the half shafts angling forward on the early cars.

Edited by Diseazd

Reading back over your prior posts, that makes sense as well. I've never looked under a Series-II car, I suppose, and wasn't aware of the differences. Now I know what to do if I ever have vibration in the rear. Thanks Guy!

The only differences that you'll be able to see (to confirm the update has been done) is the rear control arm hanger is curved (behind the diff) as opposed to the early cars (straight) and if you look close you can tell the mustache bar is flipped 180 degrees. This gives the diff the space to move back when the new diff mount (which moves the diff back) is installed. Great project! PJOE (Brian) can help you with altering your shift lever to clear the console.

Now I know what you're talking about. I remember accidentally trying to put the mustache bar in flipped 180*. PJOE's write-up on the modified shifter is fantastic. That was 100% my inspiration for knowing it can be done.

ZX Transmission installed. Obvious why a different shifter is needed

post-21817-14150823319364_thumb.jpg

Threw on one of the restored steering wheels to roll it around the garage. Poor shot, but if I used the flash, you could see all the dust. Another of the roll cage.

post-21817-14150823320658_thumb.jpg

Back on the ground, wheels and tires installed. When I had this towed to the garage back in the Fall, I had them drop it off in the driveway, thinking I'd just push it in the garage where I wanted it. Everything must've been locked up, it was awful. This time though it slid around nicely. Things seem to be paying off.

post-21817-14150823321826_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150823323047_thumb.jpg

post-21817-1415082332006_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150823321383_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150823322438_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stephen. It took awhile to find a good console for my '70, so I'm very reluctant to tear into this Series-1 piece, lest I regret it later. I'm generally hesitant to do things to the car that can't be undone. This '71 is modified to the point that I probably shouldn't hold that feeling anymore, but I do believe (for the most part) it could still be restored to stock, need-be. Not by me. But someone else with lots of money and time.

I failed to mention: The wheels are 15x8 Rota's and the tires are 225/50ZR-15 Toyo Proxes R888. No fitment issues, and it'll be nice to see how the front looks once fluids, carbs, the hood, etc. are all re-installed. I'm hoping it'll drop down just a little more. I may find I have to roll something up front later on, but for now things are looking good. Thanks for all the folks who chimed in when I was looking at sizing questions a few months back.

Edited by ksbeta

Does anyone know WHY Nissan made the angle of the half shafts out of 90* on the series 1 cars? It seems like most other issues were thoroughly contemplated, but to go out of their way to have the rear end shifted forward is odd.

Did they want a shorter wheelbase for handling purposes?

Just curious.

Tlorber,

My experience with Nissan's decisions is that they were all extremely well thought out and almost always in consideration of how to frustrate me as much as possible 40 yeras later. Mission accomplished.