IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

If I fill up the Z, the meter doesn't go all the way to F. But yesterday I filled it up, and drove about 200 km, and when back the meter was a little away from half a tank. So assuming the meter is partly correct, it will consume 19 miles to the gallon, that's quite alot isn't it? When in neutral and outside the car, I step on the pedal, there's black fumes... so I'm assuming the carbies run rich... or worn out jets?

The choke is working correctly, and can move freely up and down. If I read the plugs the mixture looks good. I don't need choke to start it, just use the starter motor 2 times and it starts.

Just filled 38 liters of 91 octane again to it in Germany ( cheaper gas ). So I'm assuming it's a little more optimistic, maybe 21 mpg, I will see what the car does on fuel economy when driven more overtime.

Yesterday I let a local tire shop balance the front wheels ( took him 10 minutes to each wheel, and we got a 0 to 0 reading ), and they will do the rear wheels next saturday. In the beginning I had quite a vibration above 70 mph, but after some driving that almost seems gone now, weird?

Yesterday I let a local tire shop balance the front wheels ( took him 10 minutes to each wheel, and we got a 0 to 0 reading ), and they will do the rear wheels next saturday. In the beginning I had quite a vibration above 70 mph, but after some driving that almost seems gone now, weird?

Hi Bart,

I had that a couple of years ago when I started driving after the winter. After a week it slowly went away. I wasn't sure if I was getting use to it or what? but then I realised:stupid: the tyres had flat spots from sitting to long in one spot. Since then its on stands in the winter and havn't had that problem since.

That could be your problem as well?

Thanks!

Okay, so today I took the Z for another drive to get alot of new parts.. points,rotor, distributor cap, etc basically all for the ignition ( allready changed the wires which made good difference ). On my way, halfway the Z began sputtering like madness, and was almost unable to drive. I managed to get back home somehow...

I replaced all the ignition parts, and now it runs like a dream, and goes beyond 5 k rpm, which before it didn't :D

Also put a new oil pressure sender unit on the block, and I finally have oil pressure showing on the dash now !

Next problem for now: it's hard to get into gear and grinds. I have taken the master clutch cylinder off for new cups. And will see what it does. I don't want to wreck the gearbox from this old lady.

Hi Bart, did you get the clutch master cylinder in NL? Just wondering. If I cant get parts from the nissan dealer I generally end up buying in the US at Rock Auto or MSA. They are the ones with the best shipping rates to NL IMO.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat