IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

Bart,

It was great meeting you and glad to hear you enjoyed the photos of your car. I still can't believe not long ago it was just a few hours from here and now it's half way around the world! I've talked to all of the previous owners of my car, including the original owner who is now 81. He had some great stories to share about the car and his past experiences. I was hoping to located a photo of the car from the original and second owner, but they didn't seem to take any. Anyway, it looks like Alan VanGundy still lives in Iowa, so he would be easy to contact. Does the paperwork indicate how many previous owners there were? My car came with the maintainence records up to 1988, so I was able to track down the owners. I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois. Well, if you'd like help tracking down the previous owners I'd be glad to help!

Robert S.

I'm still looking to find the first owner if that would be possible.. His name is on the warranty card that you can see in the first post.

Hertel R E JR

5244 Foxridge dr

Shawnee Missionks 66202 ( Date 07/27/1971 )

Gr Bart

Edited by bartsscooterservice

On the other hand, I never had and contact with the original owner and I'm not sure if there was anyone else before Campbell. It will be interesting to hear what develops! I'd be willing to help if needed as well.

Alan V.

Hi Alan,

That would be the guy in the post above. I don't know how to track a person overthere in the US, but maybe somebody here can help in that.

Bart,

I was looking at the photos of your Z from the start of your thread again and noticed the inside of your doors are silver. So yes, the original color of your car is 901 Silver. The original warranty card for my car also has an extra number next to the date, but the 5 digits don't seem to have any meaning. I'm still working on your request. :)

Robert S.

Well... look what I got in the mailbox today:

I was indeed the first owner of the car in question. It was one of the first in Kansas City and was purchased from Overland Park Datsun. I traded in my 1969 440 RT Dodge Charger for it. Car was never wrecked. We moved in the Spring after purchase to New Rochelle \., New York. There we had to have the 3rd gear synchro repaired under warranty. That was the only mechanical issue with the car. Rust along the rocker panels soon appeared, but we had it repaired and dar fully repainted after moving back to Kansas City in 1976 then sold the car to a dealer friend of mine in Leavenworth, Kansas ROUND 1978 - 79. Guess my friend drove it until 1987 or Mr. Campbell is not the second buyer.

In New York the car was maintained by Bob Sharp Datsun. Sharp was an amazing race car driver and won the C production class of SCCA in the Z cars for many years. Hos son is Scott Sharp that races the Patron car in the Rolex series.

Hope this info helps? Regards, Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from a 1 week holiday in the Czech Republic , visited Prague also. The last day we went to South/West Germany, Sinsheim Technical Museum, very nice ! I went with the 240Z no problems, the car ran fine all the way. ( more than 2000 km total) Here's some pictures..

29cztw.jpg

30uae7b.jpg

1e6xw1.jpg

nfgtbp.jpg

rc0enb.jpg

28jebfk.jpg

21dlky.jpg

dypwrd.jpg

68exi9.jpg

122zyuf.jpg

27y4sk0.jpg

Edited by bartsscooterservice