Hardway

The Lime Green Machine Restoration Thread - 1972 240Z

Sorry guys. Been completely swamped with work and have not been on the boards in awhile. Mike W was spot on, the header is a MSA 6 in to 1 piece. The only modification I had to do was trim one of the ears on the transmission bell housing. I highly recommend the stud kit MSA sells, totally worth it!

Nice work! I just got my 'Tennis-ball green' recently. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

I have a small update but unfortunately no pictures as none of them turned out good for some reason. The clutch pedal in my car has suffered the same metal fatigue at clevis pin hole that so many others have experienced. The clevis pin itself had been worn down as well and this was creating 2-3 inches of free pedal play and reduced the effective travel of the pedal. I cleaned up the hole and used an extra suspension bolt that I had purchased from Fastenal for my front suspension rebuild. It was a class 10.9 bolt which is equal to a grade-8 bolt. I cleaned off the zinc finish and welded it in to the hole as a plug. Then I chopped off the ends and drilled a new hole in to the pedal using my drill press. Once done I cleaned up the pedal and shot a fresh coat of satin black paint on it. While the paint dried I worked on the clevis pin. Since it was worn down I used another class 10.9 bolt to replace it and drilled a hole in it for retaining clip. Once the paint dried overnight I greased the bushing at the top of the pedal and reinstalled it. The end result is a very crisp and precise clutch pedal. Total time spent was about 2 hours all together. Cost = $0 Another small project done! After I wrapped it up I took some time clean and dust off everything in the interior which made a big difference.

As of right now I don’t have any more plans for the car in the short term. I need to put pen to paper on what the floors, body work, and paint are going to cost from a financial stand point along with personal and professional labor. From what I have read a full floor pan and seat rails replacement takes around 40 hours. I think I will get some drive time in now that it has cooled down before tackling anything else. That is all for now.

It is a bitter-sweet day as I said goodbye to my 1972 Datsun 240z. After a year and a half of work it still needed many more hours and lots more money to get it to where I would be happy with it. Knowing this and having it at a state in which it could be driven again I put it up for sale after several weeks of thought and debate. It is headed to Canada where the buyer plans to finish what I started. He got a great deal and it will hopefully provide him and his family lots of enjoyment once it is complete. I will leave all the photos up of my work so others can use them in the future as reference or guidance. I still have my '88 300zx 5spd turbo car and it is heading to the paint shop today to get a little work done. I still love the classic Z cars but the next one I buy will be DONE. My new job keeps me very busy and I really want a car I can just drive and do not need to restore or overhaul. I am now in a financial position to just buy a really nice one. What does the future hold? Who knows. In the near term my plan is just to save my money and be patient which is what I should have done from the very start. I have also been looking at air cooled 911's, Honda S2000's, and C5 Corvettes.

In ending this car chapter I want to say thank you to all the forum members that have helped me along the way. The classic Z community is second to none in my book and I look forward to keeping up with everyone and their projects. I am not going anywhere and I will still be looking around and posting on a regular basis.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Sad day, but it sounds like she'll be loved where she's going. And the whole time it's on the highway on that car carrier, every few miles someone will catch a glimpse of her and say "wow."

Thank you Blue! If my wife and I plan to head that way we will definitely take you up on your offer. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in our neck of the woods. Be good my friend.

Hey Hardway, I really enjoyed following your thread and half thought I would see your car tearing up the streets of Austin when I am there for the US GP in November. Anyway things happen for a reason and best of luck...any idea what part of Canada the Z is heading towards? I have a bunch of odds and ends left over after completetion of my restoration that I am too lazy to ship. Cheers.

Thank you for the compliments Ollie. Yeah, for the longest time I was always thought I would never sell it but things change. It is going to Windsor Ontario and the buyer is a Z fanatic for sure so it will be in good hands.

Hardway, did you sell it to Curtis?

Chris

Yes, you are correct. He already has the car and has dove in to it working to get the floor pans replaced. That was going to be the next thing on my list so it is getting the attention it needs and deserves.

Broke my heart that you had to sell the car since we are on similar paths. I admired your work and hope you can rejoin us someday.

Hi Jeff,

Sad to see you sell after all that good work you have done.

Curtis sold me some taillight and stuff a while back. He went out of his way to help. Your car has gone to a good home.

Goodluck with your search for a replacement.

Chas

I still love the classic Z cars but the next one I buy will be DONE. In the near term my plan is just to save my money and be patient which is what I should have done from the very start.

Good plan..

Thanks for the kind words and compliments everyone. I am not gone and will continue to stay active on here as I search for another Z. The right one for me is out there, I just have to find it or better yet, it will find me.