IGNORED

Nice Survivor!

JLPurcell

I went back to my agent who called Hagerty and requested the upgrade. They have photos. They said that the most they would insure an S30 for was $32,500 at this time. They said that I could get written appraisals and submit them and they would take a look at it. I have not followed through at this point but after reading your assessment and my local appraisers assessment I believe that I will have to mover forward and see what they say.

Thanks Jerry Purcell

Hi Jerry:

I've always delt directly with Hagerty - never used an Agent. The appraiser is most likely correct - I said no less than $40K as that would pretty much assure the car would be repaired even if it sustained a lot of damage in an accident. Of course that wouldn't come close to replacing it if it were stolen or lost in a storm etc. The higher the insured value - the higher the premium too.

I'll touch bases with some of the guys at Hagerty next week and hopefully remind them why the extended coverage to any 240Zs to begin with. Many time the Underwriters fear over-insuring cars during harder economic times - but a $32K top limit is just silly for a Collector Car Insurance Company to begin with..

Carl B.

Nice car and as one who is at the final restoration stage that price looks attractive to me. I spent about that in body work alone and to be honest I now have an over restored car which might mot see much street time. However you can't put a price on how much fun I have had along the way and I'm thrilled with the results. Mine is a 4/73 car and soon as the exhaust is up next week I will put up a thread.

That is a wonderful example and the right color too :)

I hope this question will not be taken as being nitpicky, but rather trying to get my facts straight.

Is the rear muffler on the vehicle original?

post-2033-14150821248147_thumb.jpg

All the 240Z's I recall with original rear mufflers were chrome tipped. Most of them were painted black and were manufactured for NIssan in Japan by Nichira.

It's hard to see, but I posted an example below.

post-2033-14150821249385_thumb.jpg

Following Carl's assessment I made an offer on the car which was rejected. The company representing the car called it a #1 example and show quality as it sits. I do like the car but Carl is correct if the car is completely as advertised it would take thousands and many hours to make it a #1- or #2+. I can't afford the asking price with that being considered. I would like to have another so that in the long run each of my son's could remember me while driving a classic Z car. They grew up seeing my 72 sit disassembled in the back of the garage and have both driven it since it's completion. They are in love with Classic Z cars just as we are.

JLP

I hope this question will not be taken as being nitpicky, but rather trying to get my facts straight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58037[/ATTACH]

All the 240Z's I recall with original rear mufflers were chrome tipped. Most of them were painted black and were manufactured for NIssan in Japan by Nichira.

It's hard to see, but I posted an example below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58038[/ATTACH]

Hi Ed,

I'll give you my take in answering your questions. From the picture, it "could" be a stock (round) muffler but, without the chrome finisher installed. The pipe size "could" be the stock, approx. 1 7/8" dia. The finishers shown in your second picture in the front would be correct for the 240z up to about 7/72, and the one in back for cars up to about 7/73. These finishers came with, and were tack welded to, the muffler pipe, and they were, but no longer are, available separately from Nissan parts departments.

The exhaust system, as it came on the car from the factory, was unpainted raw metal. If purchased from your local Nissan parts department, it would be in black paint for shelf wear protection.

One would have to examine the muffler for a part number to know if it is, in fact, original stock.

This is only my opinion based on past personal experience and research. The first picture I have attached is my car just after purchase from the dealer in March of 1971, and the second picture is

after a complete restoration completed this summer.

Dan

post-2148-14150821252135_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150821252403_thumb.jpg

Just to corroborate what Jerry, Carl, and Motorman7 have stated about quotes from Hagerty, I, also, recently called Hagerty directly, talked to an underwriter supervisor, and was told that the maximum agreed value policy that Hagerty would write was for $32,500 for my 1/71 240z. They would consider increasing this with pictures and an appraisal.

Dan

Following Carl's assessment I made an offer on the car which was rejected. The company representing the car called it a #1 example and show quality as it sits. I do like the car but Carl is correct if the car is completely as advertised it would take thousands and many hours to make it a #1- or #2+. I can't afford the asking price with that being considered. I would like to have another so that in the long run each of my son's could remember me while driving a classic Z car. They grew up seeing my 72 sit disassembled in the back of the garage and have both driven it since it's completion. They are in love with Classic Z cars just as we are.

JLP

Just to offer a different point of view, there is a little more to an old Z car than having one in #1 or #2 condition. Personally, I love my old minimally refreshed 240Z and have no desire or intentions of making the changes required for it to be a gold medallion winner. I love it's originality and 'patina' as Dan so appropriately calls it :-) . My car will never be as nice as his and I'm OK with that. More than anything it thrills me to say, "yes, that is the original factory paint, seats, dash, sparks plug wires, fuel hoses, etc". Not too many owners can say that. The thing I prize the most is the uniqueness of the car. There just aren't that many un-restored Z's in good condition out there, period. I may not place well at the local Z shows, but how many Z owners can say that they have won out over a Bentley, Benz's and Cadillacs at a Concours event (preservation class of course. Along this lines, it seems more shows are jumping on the 'preservation class' band wagon). A well preserved Z is a unique and special car indeed.

The question with the '73 is what are you really looking for in a Z. Personally, if I were to buy this I would do the least amount possible to make the engine bay look better. I would definitely re-do the zinc for corrosion purposes, but beyond that, can't say I would do anything else. I would just do a lot of cleaning and manage any potential rust areas, that's it. The car definitely looks good in the pics. A close personal inspection would be in order for any car in that price range.

And, regarding the market for an old car: I believe there are people out there that will pay top dollar for a minimally touched Z in great condition. I personally have turned down several offers including a $40K offer while at the Dana Point Concours. Again, it's the rarity of the item that makes it valuable.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Rich

Edited by motorman7

Hi Ed,

I'll give you my take in answering your questions. From the picture, it "could" be a stock (round) muffler but, without the chrome finisher installed. The pipe size "could" be the stock, approx. 1 7/8" dia. The finishers shown in your second picture in the front would be correct for the 240z up to about 7/72, and the one in back for cars up to about 7/73. These finishers came with, and were tack welded to, the muffler pipe, and they were, but no longer are, available separately from Nissan parts departments.

The exhaust system, as it came on the car from the factory, was unpainted raw metal. If purchased from your local Nissan parts department, it would be in black paint for shelf wear protection.

One would have to examine the muffler for a part number to know if it is, in fact, original stock.

This is only my opinion based on past personal experience and research. The first picture I have attached is my car just after purchase from the dealer in March of 1971, and the second picture is

after a complete restoration completed this summer.

Dan

Thanks for the information.

Edited by DatsunZGuy

I do not believe that it is, and you have to wonder why a Z with only 8K miles needed a new muffler. My White 72 has 80K miles and the original exhaust system - header pipe through muffler. But as stated - you would have to see it in person. Additionally - the condition of the engine does not say "8K" miles either. A friends 72 engine with 16K original miles still looks show ready.

On another thread - I spent several days visiting muffler shops - trying to find the best match to OEM. There are few that are very close.

FWIW,

Carl