IGNORED

A/C for 240z

Jacob M

Unless I'm missing something (quite possible) the original A/C units worked with freon which I understand is going to be illegal at the end of this year. I would say that if you want A/C in your Z, buy a new kit and install it. But, of course, I would also ask why you would want A/C in a sports car? Isn't that defeating the purpose of the car to begin with? Never could figure that one out...

Hi Jacob, No, the VintageAir system is not designed specifically for the 240Z. You will have to come up with a mount for the compressor and do some fabricating to mount the evaporator and the condensor. If you are not real mechanically able it would be a difficult job. Check Zcars posts on this site as he did a great write up on installing a VintageAir system in a 280Z. Another visitor to this site who I know personally Kenz240z installed a VintageAir system in his 240Z. He might be able to give you some hints. It was easier to do this project with the dash. console, and seats removed from the car. It took me about a month to do, but now that I know what to do it could be done in about a week. I can't stress enough that this is a difficult, but rewarding job.

Cheers, Mike

I'm in the middle of installing a VintageAir system. There is an error in their catalog showing the dimensions on their Gen II Compac system. The evaporator/heater box is listed as 9" high, in actuality it is something like 11" and doesn't fit inplace of the OEM heater box. On the other hand, their next smaller unit, the Gen II Mini slips right in with plenty of room.

Any aftermarket unit is not designed to pull outside air like the vent system in the OEM heater. In other words, it only recirculates interior air. Of course we have the side air vent that dump fresh air in under the dash, but the air coming from the dash vents comes from the heater system. Using a VintageAir system will still force air through these vents, but it comes from the floor area, not the outside.

BTW the original add-on pull through systems also only used recirculated air as well. But retained the fresh air vent when not using AC.

If you end up interested in an older kit, I have one similar to the one Jarvo2 posted above. It is just waiting to either be installed on my car or sold. Other than the condition of the box, it may as well be brand new.

HOwever, I think it is for a 260z instead. I am guessing it could be made to work with a 240 without too much work.

I'm also installing a VintageAir Mini in my '72. My dealer-installed system, even with a Sanden compressor upgrade, was a mediocre performer at best. Got too expensive to recharge so I sold it.

If you're interested in the ability to pull in fresh air with a VintageAir system as I definitely am, check out this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread35510.html

For all the good work Julio did on his VintageAir Mini, the fresh air hook-up was all for naught. The fan used is a centrifugal fan, that is it throws air from the center to the outside. Julio tapped into the discharge air channel, not the intake side of the fan. As a result, when he opens the fresh air vent, he pumps interior air back out through the vent.

I've been working on a vent that couples to the intake on the top. Quite honestly, for all the engineering and trouble, if I were doing it again, maybe I'd just use Julio's control vent and just admit fresh air when desired. My design moves up and down in the vent channel. When raised, a flapper closes inside the vent and air is drawn between the control and the top of the fan. When lowered, the flapper is opened and the control body rests on top of the fan inlet.

What no one has mentioned is how the control head is mounted in the center console when fresh air control is retained.

• 1 month later...