IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Removed some random bits in the engine bay again :)

1) Ignition coil bracket & Resistor:

P1080272-Kopie.jpg

2) Front bumper support brackets and Radiator:

P1080274-Kopie.jpg

P1080277-Kopie.jpg

3) Ignition wires and Distributor cap:

P1080279-Kopie.jpg

4) Started removing the carbs and other stuff but then a friend showed up and we started to chat so i left it like this:

P1080280-Kopie.jpg

Hope to get more done soon - want to have the white chassis out of the rain and back in the garage :)

Hi Nils,

Im amazed that the front end is in such good condition and the rest badly rusted. It must of had some pretty bad water leaks in the cabin or the PM left that dam sunroof open when he parked it:ermm:

Cool website, speedhunters:love:

Chas

Indeed - the car had no sunroof and was covered with a plastic-cover which blew away after a few weeks so the car stoud there with a lot of rain and snow inside several months. but it was inteded to buy it as a parts donor and it got exactly what i need for the other car (raer panel and front end) so i'm pretty happy with it, particularly because it was damn cheap :)

Someone asked me about the wheels on the black z, and i've never really cared about them because the previous owner wanted them back but i thought i'd investigate a bit. Brand name says MELBER and googling tells me that that brand has been OEM Options wheels on several european cars.

P1080311-Kopie.jpg

According to the Center cap which says "Melber Datsun" it seems to be some kind of OEM option here to and i remember the previous owner told me something like that.

P1080308-Kopie.jpg

Here a better view of the brand name. Ignore the terrible paintjob which is peeling off.. :)

P1080310-Kopie.jpg

Also spent a lot of time with the car today but pictures don't make a lot of sense, because i just removed a lot of hoses, wires and pipes for easier carebutor removal next time :)

Oh and i also have a big package from Japan on the way and some plans for next month :)

Hi Nils:

Great Thread, thanks for bringing us along.

Looking at the pictures of the wheels - the way they are corroded & colored - I wonder if they are Magnesium Alloy rather than Aluminum Alloy. Look carefully on the back of the wheels and see if there is a Date Of Production stamped into them.

BTW - it would appear that your Swiss cars got the same bumpers we did here in the US for 70 though 72. We only got the big ugly bumpers starting in 73.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your feedback,

Yeah we got the standard JDM bumpers here in switzerland, as far as i know they had to change them in the US for som safety reasons at one point, so you got the ugly USDM bumpers after 73 :P

The whells are aluminum i think they aren't really light. so i don't think they're magnesium, but i'll check that. I believe they just got "painted" with a rattle can or something that's why paint peels off, but i definitly will look closer at them when i have them off the car! THanks for your input on this ;)

Just a short update:

2) I love the fact the new car came with alle the stuff like OEM-seats, and seatbelts. even if the need quite a bit of love to look shiny and work properly again :D

P1080081-Kopie.jpg

and out they are:

P1080082-Kopie.jpg

Very Interesting - were the self-retracting shoulder belts OEM in the black Z or added on import to meet a Swiss Requirement?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Im Not sure, but i believe they where added on import. the Brand name of the seat belts was something swedish (not swiss :D) and i assume they would have installed some japanese brand if it was done in japan, rather than a european thing :)

I think those seat belts were probably something similar like the USDM bumpers, to meet safety regulations - but im not really suere about this.

They look different to what I have seen here in NL. but then again there is not too many original 240Z, 260Z still running here. Most are US import and its not required to change them to get the car through road worthiness inspection.

Well yeah, i have the feeling that cars where initially shipped without seatbealts (at least in the early production years) and due to the fact that many counries started with security related restrictions during these years every countries importeur started modification to meet regulations on their own before maybe datsun officially equipped the cars with seatbelts in the latter years. but actually i have no clue :P I liked the layout of these seatbelts but probably i'll go for some more racing oriented 4 or 6 points belts because i have mounting brackets for Multi-point belts on my rollcage anyway :)

I've been thinking about the possibility to lower my Z on adjustable coilovers but all the options i found where somewhat expensive JDM-stuff without documents for swiss street-legalization or either cheap US-crap self-welding solutions. So when i picked up my Tein coilovers for my EK9 i reminded myself that there was the opportunity to get custom TEIN Coilovers made out of the standard coilovers. And the best thing they'd come with swiss documents if i handle it together with the swiss tein importing company.

Only one problem: They cost almost as much as i paid for the entire car :)

Here are some pics from the TEIN japan Homepage:

SPD_NISSAN_S130_110805-12S-Kopie.jpg

SPD_NISSAN_PGZ31_080623-1S-Kopie.jpg

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

That is a nice pair of coilovers. I know what you mean about pricing. That stuff can get really pricy. Thats like all the other things Id like to do, but cant justify all that cash to do it. I figure ive got plenty of time to do it bit by bit. My next "bit" will be the 300ZX 71C transmission.