IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Today i got an early christmas surprise :) I decided to change my plan regarding the bolts and take the easiest possible way. Finding all the approximately 300 Different nuts, bolts, washers and springs in the correct size, threads, coating, lenght, strength etc at a hardware supplier is a pain in the arse. Specially because some of them are custom made only for Nissan. So i thought the simplest way is just print all the part numbers out of the nissan E-Fast tool, and place a big order at the local nissan dealer...
Well it wasn't that easy. But this is what i got today:
P1130660-Kopie.jpg

In fact i had to find replacement partnumbers for the original obsolete parts and at the end this are all the original parts still available from nissan europe. Also checked with nissan japan. they only had one nut more :) So At the end i have at least 60% of all the steering rack and front subframe assembly / Suspension bits together. All the standard pieces will be bought from a big hardware store and the custom made bolts like the transaxle mounting bolts will be cleaned and recoated / zinc plated because they still look nice!
P1130661-Kopie1.jpg

Yesterday i also visited My Bodyguy Yves from M.U.C who is working on my chassis. Not much changed since he last sent me an update but talked a lot to him and had a closer look at his work:
P1130658-Kopie1.jpg

So much better than before:
P1130657-Kopie.jpg

This is the current state of the car. As you can see on the floor i dropped of the NOS Frame-rails i got a while ago so he can replace the rusty and patched up ones. So happy to have these items even if they cost me a kidney :P
P1130659-Kopie.jpg

Prepare for another big update coming this weekend :)

• Like 1

Got a huge truck by my house yesterday which brought me a big Plywood box from USA directly from the Airfreight-carrier :D Heavy duty stuff :P
P1130666-Kopie.jpg

It contained a part both my chassis didn't have in needed quality and which i've been looking for for a while now.. But finally Thanks to an ebay auction from a great guy called Kevin i finally have a straight Roof without any sunroof-patch-repairs or a ton of bondo. Even the roof liner inside si there. Great news and big thanks to the seller :D
Will completely unpack it when needed for easier storage :)
P1130668-Kopie.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My Job forced me to work in sunny Brazil for almost two weeks and when i came home i had a terrible cold. So updates were rare. However it's christmas time and i got some cool stuff:
Thanks to my mate stev i got a printed version of the S30 Service manual:
P1130681-Kopie.jpg

and thanks to my lovely girlfriend i got a nice air-compressor as a christmas gift. Wow, something i've wanted to buy for a while but always spent the money on other things :)
P1130683-Kopie.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slow lately with me being busy with christmas-stuff and working and yves, the bodyshop guy being stuck in other small customers works. However i'm working hard on finding a solution (aka a useful shop) for galvanizing my bolts and it seems i just found one. And somehow i found the time to order a few more bolts, nuts, springs, fasteners and other stuff for the project. This time the fasteners are for the engine- and transmissionmounts. Great stuff. Now will make a next big order for the rear subframe bolts. we be slightly bigger :)
P1130764-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jepp, progress is currently a bit slow because i'm still working on a lot of research stuff and the weather is cold and snowy over here (and you know my garage is unheated).
However got some small stuff done again: Ordered a big bunch of OEM Nissan Nuts, Bolts, washers and springs for the rear subframe assembly. Still a few missing they will be delivered delayed.
P1130768-Kopie.jpg

Also finally got a little update from Yves over at MUC. He's currently preparing for exchanging the Genuine frame-rails i brouth him a few weeks ago (See below):IMG-IMG-20150120-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150120-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

P1080246-Kopie.jpg

With the Swiss franc shooting up in value, haven't these foreign parts just gotten alot cheaper?

It would be neat to scan in the dimensions of those new rails into CAD for the future when 3d metal printers become affordable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like every post i write starts with a "finally". So this one is no different: Finally some Assembly work started. After many years of taking parts apart and cleaning them, finding replacement and doing research - i started the assembly of the Steering rack-and-pinion system. This is how it started (Note the new workdesk light i installed also :D)
P1130770-Kopie1.jpg

I highly recommand using these Surface cleaning pads (pot cleaners) for removing old dried-out grease, slight s urface rust and dirt. Works brilliantly and is super cheap and easy to get :)
P1130771-Kopie.jpg

Also love my  new multi-purpose grease pump :)
P1130772-Kopie.jpg

It's so much fun cleaning all the little bits like the grease seal seen here:
P1130775-Kopie.jpg

P1130773-Kopie.jpg

Looks like i didn't do a lot but after two hours of cleaning surfaces, degreasing, re-greasing a lot of bits and puzzling it all together i ended up  like this :)  Still need to get a few parts zinc-plated before i can complete the assembly but at least i have something like an almost-finished steering rack :)
P1130776-Kopie.jpg

Then bought a simple spring-scale from an online auction so i can make sure to have all the parts within specifications as mentioned in the service manual. No the most high-tech thing but it was cheap and wil do the work for me ;)
P1130778-Kopie.jpg

Also got a little delivery with some Nissan OEM Fasteners that were on back-order. Now have most of the parts ready for a full subframe re-assembly with all new OEM bolts. still need to get a few replated but most of the parts are ready. this will be fun :)
P1130777-Kopie.jpg