IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Well yeah, sorry for the lack of updates, but i've almost completed my home-moving. Still a few small things to complete, but i'm really looking forward to getting stuff done on the Z again soon. However there is a small update thanks to my car-loving mate Manuel. I sent him a few homologation documents i had laying around for his future AE86 project and for thanks he brought me a little gift from his recent japan trip:

A genuine japanese Fairlady Z S30 Owners bible:

P1120816-Kopie.jpg

Think of a Hardcover HyperRev type of magazine dedicated to the car we love:

P1120817-Kopie.jpg

Including a lot of examples of modified Z's, A list of Tuners, Detailed Information about maintenance, Engine assembly, Body repair and everything as well as a selection of aftermarket parts and so on.

P1120818-Kopie.jpg

Really love the book even if i don't understand a lot of that japanese stuff. Allways love collecting stuff like this and even the pictures help a lot :D Big thanks to you, Manuel! :)

P1120819-Kopie.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally, yeah F I N A L L Y i'm cranking up the project agiain. After moving my home, saving some money for the bodyshop and preparing a lot of things i got back to work on my Z. Oh how i've missed it..

I spent two afternoons in the garage taking out the rear-end. It's quite a bit of pain if you don't have a rattle-gun or a car lift. However it's done now and i'm happy:

Before:

P1130387-Kopie.jpg

After:

P1130391-Kopie.jpg

and out it is:

P1130392-Kopie.jpg

Next was the handbrake assembly and the diff upper mounting-belt:

P1130393-Kopie.jpg

P1130394-Kopie.jpg

Out they are:

P1130396-Kopie.jpg

so now the only parts left on the second chassis are the fuel and brake lines as well as a few torn-off screws wich i need to drill out.

However, the good news don't stop here:

Next weekend my welding-guru Stev will drop by with his skills and tools and help me build a chassis-jig so i'll be able to roll the chassis on a transporter because i saved some money and the Panel-beater guy is already waiting for me giving him a call. GREAT NEWS! Also i've planned to start assembly and resetoring of the heaps of parts laying around in my garage soon so be prepared for more frequent updates again soon!

If there is one guy i can't thank enough when it comes to my project this is my Datsun-buddy Stev which has been superhelpful. He came by my place today and spent 8 hours working for a free pizza and some money for the fuel. How often does this happen to anyone? THANK YOU SO MUCH, STEV!! You're an awesome guy with a great taste in cars :)

So that's what we (aka HE) did today:

1) He brought a bunch of pre-cut steel bars to create a rolling chassis jig, so i'll be able to move my car easy onto a trailer to get it moved to the bodyshop:

P1130416-Kopie.jpg

2) then he took out his welder and started welding up the stuff with his awesome skills :)

P1130425-Kopie.jpg

Building the Jig included also the usage of a Metal saw which he brought with him:

P1130438-Kopie.jpg

and even more welding:

P1130422-Kopie.jpg

P1130443-Kopie.jpg

3) this is wat we (he) ended up with, it's a perfect thing and exactly what i was looking for. Well done stev!!!

P1130451-Kopie.jpg

4) took us a while to get the chassis moved onto this jig, but it's great and i can roll the chassis around super-easy now and the brakes on the weels also makes it able to lock the position:

P1130452-Kopie.jpg

P1130454-Kopie.jpg

P1130453-Kopie.jpg

4) thanks to his super awesome skills i talked him into helping me drill some old sheared-of and broken screws out of the chassis and get the threads recut. Here he's preparing the sheared of screws:

P1130455-Kopie.jpg

and redrilling them:

P1130461-Kopie.jpg

5) I got him working in all kind of funky positions. There sure will be some pain in the muscles tomorrow :)

P1130466-Kopie.jpg

P1130465-Kopie.jpg

THANK YOU AGAIN STEV, SO MUCH! Thanks to his work he saved my probably three months of hassling around with various stuff!

The chassis is now ready for the bodyshop. Just need to organize a transporter and a date with the panel-beater. This is awesome and the biggest step in the project since i bought the car! I hope for more updates soon!!

Got some great news!

A good fellow of mine, which owns several old Honda classics (one who used to belong mr Honda's son!!) and is the owner of world renowned Car painting company Hosting und Webhosting von green.ch - Ihre Webseite & Domain offered me to paint the car for a good price when they have a free spot.

You might not know this company but it's a car painting company which uses to do world class paintjobs for Concours d'elegance cars.

They regulary do paint cars which get shipped from all over the world for paint and then get exhibited at Pebble beach and so on.

I think this says enough. First class paintjob can be expexted. Really happy with this good news :)

Just a small update for today:

1) Secured the chassis jig for safety reasons and easier moving. Front:

P1130492-Kopie.jpg

And rear: Needed to create these "Spacers" from a metal-tube because the threads stop halfway on the bolt, but this solution solves the problem nicely :)

P1130495-Kopie.jpg

2) I finally Set up the "assembly bench" in the basement of my new home, which lets me work on smaller stuff while the chassis is at the bodyshop. As you can see next on the list is still trying to polish a few pieces (ashtray and stuff) as well as starting assembly of the Steering rack assembly :)

P1130497-Kopie6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the project maybe made the biggest move forward since i have these two cars: I broucht one of the chassis to the bodyshop, so finally - yeah FINALLY! - the project is getting serious :) But let's start in the beginning:
Last week i started with some last preparation work:
1) Test-fitted the Overfender just because i realized i haven't done that yet :)
P1130513.jpg

2) Removed some door hardware:
P1130559.jpg

P1130553.jpg

3) Also removed the doors which i've left on the car for the sake of missing space in my garage :)
P1130519.jpg

P1130520.jpg

4) I also prepared a bunch of documents for the bodyshop guy, like a few prints with measures of the body and a catalogue with available body- and repair panels in case if i need to order something :)
P1130538.jpg

5) Then decided to take a few detailsed "Before" fotos for documentations sake:
P1130535.jpg

P1130534.jpg

P1130532.jpg