IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go, finally some updates again :-) Even if i'm moving my home currently i found some spare time. So i headed to the garage :D

Wanted to complete the dismantling of my steering rack:

Before:

P1120176-Kopie.jpg

A bit later:

P1120177-Kopie.jpg

And done :-)

P1120178-Kopie.jpg

Made this little picture to remind me in which order which part belongs where :)

P1120179-Kopie.jpg

After that i wanted to testfit a set of seatrails i got with the first Chassis when i bought it. They came with a set of 80ies König seats which i sold meanwhile. Looks like the pattern fits the holes which is good because this way i have at least a base to create some seatrails for the Bride seat :)

P1120180-Kopie.jpg

This was marked on one of the seatrails but have no idea if it's also from König or some other manufacturer :)

P1120183-Kopie.jpg

Next on my plan is to get some parts (like the Steering rack housing front subframe and transmission mounting brackets etc..) powdercoeated. once this is done i can start reassemble the Steering rack and other stuff which is the first serious step into the other direction. Not only disassembling all the time but finally some (Re-)ASSEMBLING :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice saturday is always perfect for some off-time in the garage, so that's exactly what i did today:

1) Removed the front brake lines as well as the clutch slave cylinder first:

P1120194-Kopie.jpg

2) Next i used my high-tech solution to remove the Bushings from the transmission (or any other, i don't remember where it came from exactly *LOL*) mount:

P1120197-Kopie.jpg

After a while it looked pretty nice :)

P1120200-Kopie.jpg

So here we have another sets of parts ready for powdercoating: Seatrails, engine support brace with accessories, different mounts and the steering rack housing. will be done soon hopefully so i'm at least ready to assemble the steering rack-and-pinion system at least :)

P1120202-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You might remember my second Zedd came with a big pile of spare parts. Some of them which even where from a different car. Anyway i decided to get an overwiew of which parts i have twice or more and throw the parts away which dont belong to any of my cars:

Some of the spare parts pile laying around in the garage:

P1120430-Kopie.jpg

Found multiple Room mirrors, different sized door handles, about three sets of steering wheel switches (they tend to blow up if you fit a H4 conversion without a relay what someone probably did...), multiple side markers and ashtrays, starter motors and more stuff...

P1120429-Kopie.jpg

One of the more interresting finds was this "Melber Datsun" Center cap, because the car came with some melber wheels but i thought they where some aftermarket parts, but because of this center cap i now have the feeling this was some swiss dealer or even a factory option:

P1120433-Kopie.jpg

These are the Melber wheels the car came with:

P1120431-Kopie.jpg

I Also found multiple emblems and exterieur door handles. maybe i can reuse some of these:

P1120435-Kopie.jpg

Just wanted to prepare some stuff to bring it to the powdercoater this week until i figured out the company is defunct now and i have to search another company close enough doing proper sandblasting and powdercoating. Argh!! :)

I'm really busy right now moving my house but somehow i'm also very motivated in getting the fairlady back on the road :D

1) I brought a load of parts for powdercoating today, should be done by the end of next week, and if everything is done right this means i can start assembly of some parts again :)

2) Brought some small parts to an industrial paintshop and if it's done right this means i can start assembly of some other parts (you'll see :D) soon as well :)

3) My swiss Fairlady-owners-mate (whom i will meet at the japanese old-and youngtimer meet this sunday) just sent me a shot of an old (and still used) swiss 240Z homologation fiche. It's not that interresting or useful (and written in french too), but always fun to have som information and official documents:

Homologation_fiche_1-Kopie.jpg

I think it's interresting to see that the Cars where homologated once with KOITO sealed beam headlights, but now all of mine have some H4 Halogen conversions :)Homologation_fiche_2-Kopie.jpg

Despite the fact i'm currently just moving my home, which means a lot of work i still found some time to get a bit of stuff done here and there..

1) Just picked up a box full of finished parts at the powdercoating company yesterday. They sandblasted, degreased and powdercoated the parts in RAL9005 Satin black. I love the result :)

P1120549-Kopie.jpg

Somehow they missed to coat a few smaller spots at the hard to reach point so i covered them with some satin black rattle-can car paint to prevent them from rust:

P1120627-Kopie.jpg

2) I also started restoring some smaller parts just to get some stuff done. In this case the ashtray. I use some swiss-brand "metarex" metal polishing wool with integrated polishing fluid which works great on slightly corroded surfaces. Before:

P1120545-Kopie.jpg

After....

P1120548-Kopie.jpg

Sadly i had to figure out some spots are corroded (aka rusted) too much to handle with just some metarex so i bought this Dremel polishing kit and will give it a try as soon as time allows. This will for sure also come handy at some other points i think :)

P1120628-Kopie.jpg

And then i moved my EK9 into it's new home. Finally i have it directly in my garage and not at an external garage. This makes it alot easier to get some small stuff and general maintenance done compared to how it was until now when the car was stored in a garage a few blocks away from my workshop :)

P1120626-Kopie.jpg

Also i decided (due to some extra space) to create a dedicated workspace for soldering and small restoration works at my new home which allows me to get some stuff done i usually would have done at my company. Like creating a new wire loom etc :D realyl happy with the progress and still have some other parts at another paintshop to pick up next week :)

Another little update as promised: I picked up the mirrors from the paintshop today:

P1120642-Kopie.jpg

The result turned out really greatand i'm super happy :D I wasn't really sure what colour the original JDM fender mirrors have. Heard a lot of things like flat black, glossy black, chrome and Charcoal. I decided to use the same colour as the rear taillight covers, so that's what i gave them as reference and it turned out really great.

P1120643-Kopie.jpg

The colour is a custom mixed Flat charcoal black or whatever you want to call it. Maybe not 100% the original colour but i don't care because that's exactly how i wanted it to look :)

P1120644-Kopie.jpg

Even got the screw-heads coloured to be sure there won't be shiny dot's on the end of the mirrors once assembled :D Assembly well be done as soon as i get the bottom end of the mirror bases fixed and when i have some time after moving my home :)

P1120645-Kopie.jpg