IGNORED

240Z Seat Belt Hangers?

Love my 72 240Z

The buckle you show should be painted a satin black. The greenish looking insert has a slight texture to the finish, and is also painted satin black. The texture can be duplicated by masking off that area and giving

it a light spray of something like Dupli-Color texture coating and then painting everything satin black. Hope this helps.

Dan

Taking a closer look, it appears that this buckle has retained some of that texture so maybe just painting will take care of it.

Edited by AZ-240z

Dan,

the buckle is definitely chrome plated, so I'm pretty sure that's stock, and I'll leave that. the greenish grey piece is zinc and has been painted ( this one is better than the other side ), which is chipped off a bit, not really textured. Thanks for the feedback!

Dan,

the buckle is definitely chrome plated, so I'm pretty sure that's stock, and I'll leave that. the greenish grey piece is zinc and has been painted ( this one is better than the other side ), which is chipped off a bit, not really textured. Thanks for the feedback!

Are you sure those are 240Z seatbelts? I seem to recall that either roadsters or 510's had similar buckles, but they were chrome, instead of black (as Dan and Chris described). Can you post a photo of the seatbelt tags? They should say which vehicle they were made for.

Edit: Here is an old thread that seems to show the same type of belt you bought: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread33135.html

The tags says "rear" on it, so I'm not sure what Datsun it is from, but it is not a 240Z.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B

Mike, that's what i've got - tag says "datsun sports", so they're probably from the roadster. they are the correct style, but chrome. the OEM shoulder belts in the car also have chrome ends, so i'll stick with the chrome till i see a set of black ones become available.... ( ha ha )

thanks,

Ken

Sorry if I was too blunt.

I have had passengers in my car get befuddled trying to separate the shoulder belt from the lap belt so they can use that odd "keyhole" to hang the belt, then using the square part and complaining that it isn't long enough.... yada yada yada... and then almost breaking the hook trying to insert the metal buckle.

I figured you knew how to do it, after winning a Gold Medallion. Congratulations by the way.

E

Admittedly the original style belts were kind of a cluster-**** because of the nutty regulations they had at the time. So every strap was actually adjustable (i.e., you have 3 adjustors on each side of the car. Technically you could adjust your belt so the buckle was in the middle of your abdomen, which is a dangerous location. In modern belts the male tab slides along the belt so that doesn't happen, and the female part doesn't adjust at all.

• 2 weeks later...

post-28265-14150822303154_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

I think you are asking me for one large picture of the belt - I suggest that I'd have to remove the seat and then the belts in order to do that.

So, I've left the belts in place and taken a series of close-ups that I hope will provide you with what you're looking for.

Cheers,

George

post-28265-14150822302201_thumb.jpg

post-28265-14150822302454_thumb.jpg

post-28265-14150822302631_thumb.jpg

post-28265-14150822302802_thumb.jpg

post-28265-14150822302976_thumb.jpg

Obviously these seat belts changed every year based on changing NHTSA requirements, that I believe were in flux during that time. The pictured belt above and by 26th is nothing at all like my 8/71 belt which has the Z logo printed on the center of the push-button female buckle. The j-hook was also located on the vehicle below the forward part of the quarter window. BTW, the bolts are 7/16" x 20.

Here are some photos:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-zcar-discussion/48091-looking-re-tractable-seat-belt-parts-restoration.html#post417772

Edited by bpilati
photo links