IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

One point in this discussion that I think is being overlooked, is that there were a couple other variations to consider here.

We are referring to 3 different transmissions. Two with 4 speeds, and one with 5 speeds.

The transmissions called out for different shift knobs, pretty obvious no? But consider this:

The 4 speed variation:

While the 4 SPD WOOD shift knob was the same for either the A or the B 4 speed transmission, there were THREE different part numbers. Difference unknown.

The 4 SPD NON-WOOD knob (presumably plastic, the microfiche does not mention material) had a different one for the A transmission and TWO different ones for the B.

That's 6 different part numbers for 2 transmissions of the same ... 4 speed... type.

The 5 speed showed TWO completely different P/Ns but doesn't mention material, so presumably plastic.

Aside from the # of speeds, are we even talking about the same insert? Can we verify that the one in the wood is the same as the one in the vinyl, (or was that an aftermarket one?).

Just food for thought...

E

Here is the knob I was referring to, it was off of a 75 Fairlady Z. Looks just like the wood USDM 4 speed that came on the 240z, but with a 5th speed on it. I believe the seller is on this site, but this is the only picture I have that the seller sent me of the knob before it broke. I have a friend that has a nice one I will see if he can post it later.

post-21059-14150820824242_thumb.jpg

I would enjoy seeing a closeup of the shift pattern you have, straight on if possible to minimize perspective distortion in case I have any luck making a drawing out of it. Do they change color with age so they were originally all red and have now a mottled two tones of red with a bright red and a duller red?

Mike, I'll take a quality pic and post it here. I'm not sure about your color questions as this is the only knob I've had that has a shift pattern on it. :)

Id be down for a 5 speed wood shift knob. I was going to buy that shift knob on ebay. It comes from japan too, It wasn't on ebay for the longest time and when I emailed the guy he put it back up on ebay... still haven't bought it yet though because i find it hard to spend 200 bucks on a shift knob... :/

hls30.com,

Thank you for the great clarification. The 71 240Z I sold 27 years ago had a light color wood shift knob with a 4 spd pattern. I would like to put a similar wood shift knob in the 240Z I have now except it has a 5 speed and the 5 speed knobs are naugahyde/leather. Do you know Where can I see a picture of a knob ...

I am not sure of what knob you want a picture of. The picture I posted above show the oem 280Z 4 and five speed knobs with metal emblems-the actual knobs are cast plastic with a metal threaded insert, the 240Z Knobs are wood-I have never explored the genus or species- but the wood and turning is the same between the four and the five speed. The Four speed does have a bolder font/pattern than the five speed variety. Here is a picture of all of them-the picture is dark, From the side they are much lighter in color-almost a honey color(more tan than yellow) when new.

There is one of the new Nissan replacement parts in the picture-the large diameter knob with the unscathed 4 speed emblem.

post-4106-14150820825617_thumb.jpg

hls30.com,

Sorry I wasn't trying to be confusing I didn't realize there were so many different shift knobs for a Z! Thanks much for the pictures.

Koalia,

Thanks for the picture. That is the shift knob I would like to put in my car unless there is a 5 spd wood shift knob that was ever put in a 240Z in the U.S.

Mike

Edited by Mikes Z car

Here's some good shots of my 5 speed shift pattern emblem. I've got the black plastic faux leather knob with the red insert:

pattern1.jpg

Insert popped out of the knob:

pattern2.jpg

Shot through an eye loupe trying to get as close as possible:

pattern3.jpg

If there's any other shots that might help, let me know and I'll try to do what I can.

Captain Obvious,

Wow, thanks for the nice closeup! Can you give me the measurement of from the outside edge of the ring to the outside of the ring on the opposite side of the ring, at its outside edge as well? (I sure can be a pest huh!) If anyone has tips on making a picture into a printable graphic I would appreciate it. I understand Kinko's will print on plastic, maybe the colors come out better if they do the printing.

Mike

post-18366-14150820849354_thumb.jpg