IGNORED

Updated pictures of my ride.

On my way back from Annapolis I got stop by a MD State Trooper on a black Dodge Charger, yes I was on a spirited run , but he just give a warning and we talk about the conversion on the Z,,,,,,Wow that was pure luck :cool:

There is a guy down here (NZ) with one of these engines in a 240 with a blower fitted. Apart from a slight bulge in the hood, and the racing cage it looks stock.

Well almost stock LOL. And with six speed sequential trans. it can REALLY haul--

I think you were very wise and a bit lucky to get that deal, It's awesome.

Here are some VITALS on ''Z-VETTE''.LS1 engine with 21k documented miles at time of conversion. She now has 6.353 k on complete conversion . The trany is a Tremec T56 6 spd. The diff is from an Infinity Q 45, R200 VLSD.She rides on MSA coilovers and camber plates w/Eibach springs and Tokikos 5 way inserts. On her corners Modern Motorsports Extreme 13''PBR discs F/R.Sway bars F/R are Suspension Techniques......HER STATS>>>> Weight 2.653 LBS>>> Dyno-340 RWHP and 365 RWT . PLUS her MPG high way is 32 ;)

I'm curious, cuz I'll someday want to get a new engine put in my 280Z, how much putting an engine like that in my car would cost?

b_art,,,,is not just the engine but all the components to make this type of conversion, I am not an expert just a very lucky car nut, this car was put together by a very talented car guy with mechanical and financial abilities.The LS1 engine can range from 2 to 6 thousand $, then you must get the proper kit to do the install plus the tranny, sub frame work,brakes up date, rear diff, suspension work and the list goes on and on......................there are a number of topics on the net and most give this type of conversion the average dollar amount to be between 15 to 35 thousand .;)

Seems that this question/curiosity is on the radar lately, just this morning at my local DD an owner of a 2012 Challenger R/T a Vanishing Point style car, while sipping his java and contemplating both my car and his, he started a converse with me, we talk about the good old days and the Z conversion, then the above ? appear and the similar response was given, his reaction was that he had paid close to 55 G's on his new ride and that my old/restored/redone/converted/ crazy money/Z has more WOW factor than his Hemi :cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

• 4 weeks later...

An update on Z-VETTE, it's been just a few weeks of ownership and I will like to share her background/provenance. This Z was bought new in Calabassas,California. In 1996 the technical editor at Car Craft,Hot Rod and Chevy High Performance Magazine had this Z restored for his personal use.That restoration had the engine(L28-N42 head) /suspension work done by Pierre Z Huntingtong Beach .The bodywork was done by a shop that did projects cars for Petersen Publishing cars magazines. It was built to compete BSP SoloII, and simultaneously be the prettiest BSP on the course , but a promotion at the time left no playing time , so he did not run it. The body was painted Porsche Silver,no filler ,triple primer coat, base,clear,wet-sanded.The interior was kept original red with new plastic panels, new windshield.JDM/European bumpers(all chrome)Talbot side mirrors.She only had 68K miles at that time.May 2003 she moved to Wanaque NJ, her owner then Product & Technollogy Public Relations Mercedes-Benz USA, sold her to my friend David.He kept her in that livery for two yrs or so and then did the professional LS1 conversion ;) She shines like it was just painted a few months ago, the restoration was done with lost of care :cool:

The body was painted Porsche Silver,no filler ,triple primer coat, base,clear,wet-sanded.The interior was kept original red with new plastic panels, new windshield.JDM/European bumpers(all chrome)Talbot side mirrors.She only had 68K miles at that time.May 2003 she moved to Wanaque NJ, her owner then Product & Technollogy Public Relations Mercedes-Benz USA, sold her to my friend David.

Gee...that sounds familiar... did you ask David how he got connected with the car?

I knew a guy that was in Product & Technollogy Public Relations Mercedes-Benz USA - who also had a really nice Silver Z he was trying to sell... several years ago..

Interesting...

Carl B.