IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

Body: MSA g-nose w/headlight trim and covers, custom hinges, FG rear bumper, Classic Datsun rear spoiler, custom gnose airdam and splitter,

still a Z?

Since it wasn't a Gnose in the first place, I would have to say no on this one, but the conversion looks nicely done, so you can still appreciate the car. All the rest is pretty much hidden or not as noticeable, according to the 50 MPH rule, so I could let that stuff slide.

CF pedals??? That's definitely not a Z anymore. That just pushes it over the line for me. LOL LOL LOL

Any carbon fiber is over the line. Why do pople think it looks cool. I would use CF if I lost my legs or if I where an aircraft designer.

To me Carbon fiber strictly for weight savings is one thing, carbon fiber strictly for looks(veneer/film/faux is something else, like lowering a car to the point of being producing damage every time it is driven, or tilting the wheels to the point of minimal road contact/serious wear, or putting a any of a number of things that are made to stand out from the car and put it in a condition that using if as a car damages it. If an owner wants to project Zness then the fundamental design aspects of the Z have to be first in his plan. It is like dressing a car to look like a race car, but doing nothing but dressing it. Building a race car is great, but building a poser? Not so much.

OEM parts(Gnose/headlight covers/vented hood, are all Z until seriously modified overshadow the Z) Personally If I had a few carbon fiber parts on my car, I would paint them so they would not draw attention-they would be a part of the car to save weight or as the only replacement parts available.

Really great thread, Will. Way to pick an emotional topic!

So, with complete disregard for those whom I may wizz off, I have the following comments.

I don't see anywhere in this thread the point of influence Datsun had on the aftermarket parts industry. Only inexcusable ignorance would pass over the context of modifying the Z-car or most imports of the period. Certainly VW played an initial role in establishing the accessory / modification market in America but the flood of Japanese cars in the mid to late 60's flamed the industry to epic proportions. Argueably, Datsun played a leading role in the development of the aftermarket accessory market in the United States. One MUST understand this influence when deciding what is 'Z' and what isn't. So all you guys with J.C. Whitney taste (read side protection molding) get a reprieve. Yes, you can still be part of the Z club but you don't get to use the secret handshake. If, however, you win a good taste award at some prestigious car show, a good taste award at the hands of your Z-club peers, you may use the handshake.

The engine is the heart of the marque. It is the size, shape, and horsepower that the chassis was engineered for. To install a V8 in an S30 chassis and pretend the car is still a Z is vial wretched puke. It is no longer a Z. It is another name like Scarab (if you're lucky) or Flexy-Flim. Has anyone here ever driven an early Cobra? (Perfect illustration; an AC Ace with a 289 Ford V8 is not an AC Ace.) Off to the drags with you! The Z-car is a road car. A very well tuned masterpiece designed to turn right AND left at speed. A V8 in an S30 is serious automotive redneckism. You can still hang out with us, but your opinion is automatically disregarded.

Recreate a famous Z-car with your Z-car and you have a recreation. I have seen two good ones and they get to use the handshake. The rest are wannabee recreations - no handshake.

Then there are the guys who modify the hell out of their Z-car but it still looks similar to a factory produced Z-car model. This includes serious engine modification, recarburation, ZG body kit, flares, racing seats, rear disc brakes, modified suspension. Hell, I know a guy who put an S20 engine (how come no one mentioned an S20 swap?...ignorance) into a regular Z chassis in order to create a Z 432R model. Mr. K himself had a ZG nose put on his regular HLS30. (I absolutely loath the pictures of his car used to discuss the 240Z. It's NOT a 240Z.) The automotive world has a name for these deviates - outlaw. Outlaw deviants are prefectly acceptable when and only when the owner / builder admits his / her non-conformist attitude. The same rule applies to the 'outlaws' that is used with the 'accessorized'. If the cuffs match the collars, you can still play with us. However, an outlaw car with any semblence of taste might demand a "nice car" comment where a nicely accessorized car will only get a "nice purse".

"Stock Wanabees", the guys who try to convince me that their car came equipped from the factory that way. Awe come-on! No, your early hose clamps were NOT yellow cad plated! Handshake rights suspended until you fix the offense!

And one last comment about something that really pisses me off. Yutaka Katayama did NOT design the Z-car. He certainly engineered the marketing and sales of the Z-car, and did it remarkably well for all Datsun products, but he did NOT design the car. He wasn't behind it, ahead of it, or on top of it. He SOLD it. Stop this perpetuation of ignorance at once! Go back and take third grade over again. READ! You might have something valuable to say again.

Thank you. I'm done.

Edited by 26th-Z

"Argueably, Datsun played a leading role in the development of the aftermarket accessory market in the United States."

Compared to the aftermarket for Ford, Chevrolet, Mopar, etc. that was an annual multi-mullion dollar business before 1970, the Datsun Z contribution was and still is very small. The market already existed and was thriving before the S30 hit our shores. FYI... SEMA was established in 1963.

Having been lucky enough to have made the right choice to purchase a Z in 1970 after seeing John Morton burn up the track at Road Atlanta, I can perfectly attest to the fact that not long after the introduction, people's attention was more appealingly focused on the slightly modified cars that made you think you WERE John Morton. Acceptable mods in the Atlanta market were American dish wheels, Minilite mags or the four spoke Americans libre's........ front and rear BRE spoilers, Mullholland lowering springs, 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a Corvair turbo-charged muffler. When one of these slightly properly altered cars passed you on I 85, it made your heart pump. Skinny wheels and a car that sat high off the road (with smog pumps still installed) didn't do it for me........stock class Z's are pretty......but to fully enjoy my Z's you need that little extra!

26th-z,,,,,,,,,,I see your point and value the note, Z's have been modified/customized from the get go, each of us gives its car that unique touch , some like the look of a out of the box,no mods and that is OK. To me hub caps are an instant replace item, the Z to me is a canvas, make it yours and enjoy it to the fullest . This marvel of a car is not to be compare to an exotic sport car, they are a nostalgic icon. My ''no secret handshake'' 72 Z , is a work of art, with an all aluminum LS1,6spd,a killer stance,A/C and in every outing she gets the WOW.........;)