IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

And I have had the opportunity to hear Mr. K specifically state that more HP (and John please drive faster!) would have been a good thing.

I'm sure you did ( and he was - of course - quite right ) but if he had even one tenth of the influence that people attribute to him, then he would have made sure that it happened.

Instead, the market that he was responsible for got saddled with a four-speed trans and a 3.364:1 diff ratio......

Only the S30 models are Z cars- anything else is a ZX.

More muddle-headed nonsense. You're forgetting ( of just ignorant of ) the fact that Japanese market models never got the 'X' tagged on to their model names. So, by your definition, a 1979 'Fairlady 280Z' is a Z, but a 1979 'Datsun 280ZX' is not...... :stupid:

If it really needed more power, Mr. K would've designed it that way.

Ye Gods....... :facepalm:

Besides the artwork on the fender, it looks a lot like a 240 Z with a tired air dam...

Japanese market models never got the 'X' tagged on to their model names
I'm not in Japan, so I don't care what they call their cars. As for the Mr. K quip: you should beaware about some common humor used here. Edited by TomoHawk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55327[/ATTACH] So for many this is not a Z :ermm: ( click on picture)

/\ --- this might get sticky LOL. Lets see where it goes. I like how people get all bent out of shape for some words on a computer screen. Looks like a Z to me, although I know theres a 327 under the hood.

William,,,,You mention essence,the properties of what makes the Z ... transformed her into a wild but seductive beast. '.. I came in to her path and fell in love, that big red heart that pulses her seduced me, she growl to me and I took her home.;)

Amid your passionate words(that I can feel) are the Z-ness issues, showing us what I suspected to be true...the engine leads your passion for the car, not that the Z is not a part of it, it just isn't the strongest part. If your passion was actually for a Z you would not have been seduced by more...something "transformed" with a "big red heart"...

To me a Z does not need to be transformed, it is already seductive, and transforming it only makes it less Z, and more something else-be it COrvette, or race car. I believe that there is a difference between a transformation and making some almost invisible upgrades-that blend into the character of the car, not transform it. That is absolutely not to say I can't appreciate it, love to photograph it, have inordinate amounts of fun in it, or admire it, it simply means it ain't as much Z as it is something else. I will admit I prefer a slightly modified Z to a bone stock one, but that has just a little to do with my thoughts of "Z-ness".

Alan, Thanks for reminding us Mr. K was more important to our market than the actual development of the Z. He had some influence, but not the actual control some attribute to him. Between you and Kats, that can get cleared up like the Goertz myth. Mr. K built the dealer network and put pull marketing in place with his efforts-he built Nissan North America, and championed the Z -and the Datsun Truck here, he did not develop the Z, but helped in its development. Thanks to for reminding us that we got what the USDOT would approve and Nissan wanted to send...and that kept most of the factory fun options and parts off our shores...keep that salt coming!

John, I don't think you would drive a stock Z any more for any length of time...would you? You get a mighty big smile pushing the limits of yours!

Tomohawk, while I feel that the S30, the Z32, and even the Z34 are Zs that are the most attractive to me, I also feel every Model of Z is something to appreciate.

There is a reason that Scarab removed all of the Z emblems and added Scarab Emblems-A Scarab is more something transformed than Z.

A race car is more about winning with what you have and can get than being a Z.

William,,,,You mention essence,the properties of what makes the Z that I own what it is, she began her life as the pride and joy of the first owner, then a few years later , she became an executive's play toy in Car Land California. That executive move East, she rested in all her beauty for some time, then came a dreamer and found her,she growl to him. He became the new master of this fine feline and transformed her into a wild but seductive beast. Then she again went dormant, I came in to her path and fell in love, that big red heart that pulses her seduced me, she growl to me and I took her home.;)

hls30.com you must be related to EScanlon,,,,, if you use a quote please use it as intended and not just select parts of it to misinformed , MY seduction was to the beauty of the car's condition ,its preservation, its provenance and yes the updated drive train. SHE IS ALL ''Z'' with an ATTITUDE.

Edited by 72 OJ

I'm not in Japan, so I don't care what they call their cars.

Well, as I'm most certainly not in NorthCoast, Ohio, I could say that I don't care what you call your cars there either. But that would be stupid, wouldn't it? So I won't..... :)

What matters is what Nissan themselves called the cars, and that is something that you should certainly take notice of.

As for the Mr. K quip: you should beaware about some common humor used here.

Oh, it was a joke.....!?!

CLANG! :stupid:

The make and model listing on the vehicle title determines whether it is a "Datsun 240Z" (or 260, 280Z). Everything else is just emotional fluff.

I'm with John, although I'll go with the VIN stamped into the body as the ultimate say. And I'll also second everything Alan has contributed. Everything else is as fluffy as a 9th grader's English paper.