IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

5th, no body twistie, keep in mind that the LS1 is a good 70lb's lighter than the iron L engine, she has a custom/welded/steel frame rails front to back , the former PO did lots of track days at Summit Point WV, and there is no evidence of abuse or stuff falling off, she is solid and can win a beauty pageant with just a shower ;) ........back to the subject,,, the attributes,nature,heart and soul of a Z my current Z has it.:cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

So would that mean that neither the CP or IMSA styled and modified racecars wouldn't be considered "real" Zs (flares, bigger brakes, major suspension mods, replacement of interior parts, including the stock gauges, lack of a stock wiring harness, no mufflers, wings, etc.)?

And I have had the opportunity to hear Mr. K specifically state that more HP (and John please drive faster!) would have been a good thing.

I think I am with Arne, the heart and soul of any sports car is the engine. Songs were not written about flares, or tires, or spoilers, but many were written about the engine. The L series is the pure core of the Z.

Just like if you put a SBC and turbo 350 transmission in an early Jaguar, it really is not much of a jag an more. It is much much less.

well sounds like anything it all goes to personal style. the simple to crazy and i think thats what makes z owners a great groupe of people. we may not like what someone has done but i think we all think what if or hmmm thats kinda cool. i think a z is a z because of the owner from reading this thread. well maybe only classic z guys i keep getting blown off by 350 guys till i blow by them.

I'm surprised no one has said "the addition of an 'x' to the name immediately disqualifies it's 'z'ness..." :P

I'd say the car retains the 'z' essence if any modifications go to further the original design. As such, using newer versions of parts, upgraded suspension/brakes/wheels, etc., and body kits/pieces that improve aerodynamics are fine by me. So far as engine swaps, I think along the same lines.

While v-8 transplants aren't really my thing, I do understand and respect the reasons. (case in point: years ago I was contemplating buying an e-type coupe that had undergone the sbc treatment. In my eyes, it was still a Jag, but one that would be much more reliable while still being fun....sadly, the idea was nixed by she who must be obeyed).

However, were I to swap engines, I'd prefer to keep the straight six configuration. I do like the idea of keeping it in the immediate family, but distant relatives would be acceptable (I consider the straight six from the BMW M cars as cousins).

Would it still be a 'z'? Eh, maybe...but would it still have the essence of a 'z'? I believe so.

Edited by zbane

Only the S30 models are Z cars- anything else is a ZX. So it's gotta have the L series engine, a simple interior, and a simple paint scheme. You can still add a few things to say within those guidelines, like a CD player car stereo (for city cars,) CB radio (for touring cars,) a simple front and/or rear spoiler or air dam ( if you compete) and maybe a stripe on the doors or down the top.

If it really needed more power, Mr. K would've designed it that way. But I think it has plenty to go bombing around town or the countryside at about any speed to can handle. People that feel they need a V8 should first learn to drive better than the pros from back in the 1950s & 60s.

Edited by TomoHawk

It's refreshing to read everyone's differing opinions. Shows the range of how people here view their cars. While I may not agree with all viewpoints, I don't question that we all chose our Z's for somewhat similar reasons. :)

I admit to having a certain amount of "emotion" when it comes to S30's, especially 240's. I heartily agree with others regarding the sound of the engine. It's got an underlying, "gritty" mechanical sound, not duplicated in mechanically quiet modern engines. And as stated above, the exhaust music from an inline 6 at higher revs is distinctive. I think the evolution of the L-series engine, (with modification, capable of generating 300+ HP), probably would have exceeded Mr. K's desire for more power...

As I indicated above, the feline, exterior lines of the Z are unmistakable. There are add-ons and modifications that can skew the look of the car in both positive and negative ways. I love to see well done changes that highlight the positive aspects of the Z's design. Interior mods, for me, are more of a form-follows-function thing as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of performance upgrades, better brakes, engine tuning, suspension mods are all worthwile changes, (especially if reversible. to stock). These can be accomplished without any significant change to the look and feel of the car.

Lastly, my view is of the S30 is as a rally, auto-x or road-race car. They were not designed to be dragsters, especially when compared to muscle cars of the era. The Z's at it's best racing through the curves "at-speed".

I have to say what sold me on my first Z (260) was looks, After that it was driving it. Wow! what a fun car it was on the test drive!

So for me it's the body, then the fun, then the little cool things the 260 had had, like the stow away compartments, the spartan yet useful cockpit. shure throw another motor in it and it will still be a Z sort of. My 2 cents. And Yes OJ we have seen you're vett engine, brake and drivetrain mods, they are cool (again and again and .......)

Good to see you Dave! You know adding any BMW parts kills the Zness! JK!

John, I can still hear that peel out in the Convention center!

Tomo-how go the shifter plans?

My personal view is any part from any other Z loses less Z-ness as long as it is brought over looking like it belongs and working flawlessly, a Non Z engine/ecm transplant is more of a heart/brain transplant to me and thereby doesn't really fit my view of a Z-ness-that is absolutely not to say that I do not recognize, understand, and appreciate the pull, workmanship, and effort behind it-but leaving Corvette on the covers is to me a big red and black flag left on to purely tell everyone his car ain't no Z no more. Maybe if the covers said V8Z or LSZ, or some or followed the Nissan valve cover convention truly representing the engine but not saying Nissan, 6000 DOHC.maybe..I just don't see any Zness in a big red flag that says Corvette. Again, none of this is to criticize the effort or workmanship or the choices, just to voice what I might have done to keep to keep closer to my version of Z-ness in my own car.

A seriously campaigned purpose built car is a different animal, it gets Zness from its track history as well!

I think all mods that keep Zness blend with the car instead of stand out from it, every part should fit like it belongs visually as well as mechanically. To me a Z is a harmonious collection of parts ment for a balanced driving experience, not a mobile billboard displayed to draw attention to changes made to it. Update all you want, but make it work with the remaining original design ques of the car. Again, just my opinion-not a challenge, a criticism, or an knock. There is only one person most of us have to make happy with our cars-our selves-unless the receipts fall into the wrong hands....

My 300z has several Modifications, but they are not painted up to draw attention to them, but to fit in with the original design of the car. Finishing what was started even complimenting it works, making the part stand out from the whole not so much!

post-4106-14150819854285_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com

William,,,,You mention essence,the properties of what makes the Z that I own what it is, she began her life as the pride and joy of the first owner, then a few years later , she became an executive's play toy in Car Land California. That executive move East, she rested in all her beauty for some time, then came a dreamer and found her,she growl to him. He became the new master of this fine feline and transformed her into a wild but seductive beast. Then she again went dormant, I came in to her path and fell in love, that big red heart that pulses her seduced me, she growl to me and I took her home.;)

Edited by 72 OJ