IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

yea i do like the factory style but im a kit guy but i also like little things that if you dont know what your looking for you just know there is something diffrent and it adds just a little flair. i would love to see a z with a 1/2 inch chop on the top just to add that little something.(the WOW factor)

Edited by silvey19k

I like the way the title is phrased, Will. "What mods make you QUESTION whether a car is still a Z?" (Emphasis mine.) Because the answer to that question will vary depending on the person.

To me, it boils down to two things - does it still look like a Z? And does it still have a Nissan L-series inline six in it? When the 240Z was introduced in the US in 1969, those were the two defining points of the Z - the styling, and the "big" (for its day) six cylinder when everything else at that price point had four-bangers.

I've got no problem with engine swaps, V8 or otherwise. But to me, a V8 Z-car is just another hot rod. You can stuff big power into any car, but that doesn't always retain the character that the car was designed with.

No offense intended, but this marvel of a car will not gain the status of an exotic, so if a Z owner wants to'' personalize'' it so what......ten yrs from now an AMX or a Cougar Eliminator will be worth more than Z with OE hub caps.

No offense intended, but this marvel of a car will not gain the status of an exotic, so if a Z owner wants to'' personalize'' it so what......ten yrs from now an AMX or a Cougar Eliminator will be worth more than Z with OE hub caps.
Agreed on all points, even the part about owners doing what they like. But I wasn't talking about value, or correctness, or collectibility. I was talking about personality and character. A V8 Z is a very different car than a stock or resto-mod. Better in some ways? Yes. But the personality is different. Not essentially the same car. To me, that personality is important. Less so to others.

Arne,,,I also agree,,,,but on the same token,personality can change for some reason or other and characters are strengthen ;),,,,,,let me add , the so called personality/character of my v8 Z has not change , she has the same look as any well kept Z, the original interior enhance by modern seats and full carpet,she retains all original working gauges, her original electric harness only has five adapters to the LS1 electronics,she now has better brakes, a balance suspension, and an ATTITUDE,,,:love:

Edited by 72 OJ

.....in an interview Mr. K clearly stated that one thing he might have changed on his creation was ''MORE POWER''.

"...his creation..."

Was that your interpretation, or was it that of the interviewer?

This is a very interesting discussion, and it all boils down to personal taste.

As for myself, I would never do a V8 swap, as I personally think the inline six really defines the character of the Z. I can still both understand and admire people who do V8 swaps or the like.

Imho, the exterior should be kept close to factory, or at least somewhat era correct. There are a lot of mods one can do without destroying the design of the car. The S30 is in my opinion one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, and should not be carlessly messed with.

Edited by Torby

The sound of the inline 6 L series motor wound up on any straight on any race track is an incredible sound......music to my ears. When I hear a V8 on the same straight, I expect to see a Cobra, a Corvette or a Mustang. IMO, that sound is what makes a Z a Z. I'll never forget the first time I heard (and saw) Morton and Sharp coming down the hill to the Esses at Road Atlanta. It's what makes a Z a Z............as it should be! IMHO

"...his creation..."

Was that your interpretation, or was it that of the interviewer?

Mr.K ( the Dad of the 510 and the Z ) the man behind and in front of the S30 marketing,so the term '' his creation'' is my interpretation ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

Mr.K ( the Dad of the 510 and the Z ) the man behind and in front of the S30 marketing,so the term '' his creation'' is my interpretation ;)

In what way would him being "behind and in front of the S30 marketing" ( even if that were completely true... ) make him the car's "creator"? Same goes for the 510 too.

I notice he has never seemed to get himself too closely connected with the large numbers of other little sedans and pickup trucks sold during the same period. Maybe their paint wasn't shiny enough for him to see his reflection in it?