IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

I opened a can of worms looking for passionate answers, there are some here, there are some that have not been posted that I was hoping would be. I take interest in what makes us different and the same at the same time-the differences are sometimes seen as the source of the greatest passion, but i think the similarities are actually, but I like to identify and understand the reasons behind the passion. I don't see any reason a bone stock Z can't sit beside a highly modified Z with everything between all around them-I will take a look at and photograph all of them-I enjoy all Zs and their variations-look in my gallery-from the most ungainly rustbucked to gold medallion winners, I like them all-but my favorite is the one in my garage, and it is no better or worse than any one elses, it is just different.

Edited by hls30.com

Take a step back, can I honor a woman by cutting her up and adding silicone-no that's called changing to suit-arguably making her better absolutely making her different. Honoring means embracing something as it is, not changing it.

To use your example, would an artist hinor the Mona Lisa by put his girlfriendss face on it? No he would paint a copy and do that-so as not to dishonor the Mona Lisa. A derivative work is not the same as the original work-in a derivative you are repurposing something old to make something new that shows off the skill of the latest artist not something to highlight the work of the original one. An artist in awe stands and does not touch what he is in awe of.

Seriously? A Z isn't a person it's an inanimate object.

Ever heard of a recording artist state they were honored that another artist would produce a cover, often highly modified, of the one of his or her songs? That's ridiculous that an artist would never modify another's work to create a derivative work or that it would always be taken as an insult and not an honor by the original creator. Give me a break. Your definition of what honoring something can be is extremely narrow.

You guys are getting off-topic. The topic is to discuss what kinds of modifications of the S30 marque car go too far; that it makes you wonder what car it is- or was. It's NOT about how to give honor to the marque.

Edited by TomoHawk

Seriously? A Z isn't a person it's an inanimate object.

Ever heard of a recording artist state they were honored that another artist would produce a cover, often highly modified, of the one of his or her songs? That's ridiculous that an artist would never modify another's work to create a derivative work or that it would always be taken as an insult and not an honor by the original creator. Give me a break. Your definition of what honoring something can be is extremely narrow.

You are mistaking a marketing effort with an effort to honor. The definition of honoring something is necessarily narrow-it is only opened up by someone who wants to benefit from-not honor-someone elses work. This thing called copywrite, the other thing call plagiarism, and yet this third thing called patent infringement...they are not to protect from being honored. That's part of what licensing covers, you don't really believe that Kid Rock wa out to honor Lynnyrd Skynnyrd do you? He was out to capitalize on their fan base and sell records-the honor business was there to help the marketing plan...Weird AL Yankovic is not out to honor any one, he is unabashedly out to sell records too. The Mona Lisa is every bit as inanimate as a Zcar, and my example still holds. Peter Brock has something to say about tribute cars...and it isn't because he feel honored by them...

If a modified work falls outside of the law that protects it, what choice does the original artist have...if you can't beat them, join them and come up with a way to profit from their modification of your work...

Edited by hls30.com

You are mistaking a marketing effort with an effort to honor. The definition of honoring something is necessarily narrow-it is only opened up by someone who wants to benefit from-not honor-someone elses work. This thing called copywrite, the other thing call plagiarism, and yet this third thing called patent inforingement...they are not to protect from being honored. That's part of what licensing covers, you don't really believe that Kid Rock wa out to honor Lynyrd Skynyrd do you? He was out to capitalize on their fan base and sell records-the honor business was there to help the marketing plan...Wierd AL yankovic is not out to honor any one, he is unabashedly out to sell records too. The Mona Lisa is every bit as inanimate as a Zcar, and my example still holds. Peter Brock has soemthing to say about tribute cars...and it isn't because he feel honored by them...

You are mistaking honor with I'm not even sure what. A bunch of irrelevant IP protection and marketing stuff? Where did that come from? One does not have to intend to honor another for another to be honored by ones actions. I don't need to intend to honor the creator of the Z in order for him to feel honored by something I may have done with one of thousands of copies of his creation. A songs creator who licensed a song to someone for a cover version might well feel honored by the licensees work. The fact that someone even wanted to do a cover of his song could be considered an honor to him. Especially if the one wanting to do the cover is a well respected artist. But there is no need to intend to honor for this to happen.

What you may be thinking is that even though one intends to honor another that does not make it an honor. Like your Peter Brock example. He, apparently, doesn't feel honored and so is not. Putting a V8 in a Z and thinking you are honoring the Z does not make it so. But since the Z does not think or feel I guess we'll never know how It feels about the whole thing. I don't expect the Mona Lisa will be chiming in anytime soon either. But I imagine there are plenty of folks willing to give their opinion on what is and is not an honor with respect to the Z.

Steve

This is getting ridiculous, and way off-topic.

Steve, you start recording songs about the Z.

Diseazed, you paint a picture about a Z.

Tomahawk....Check your facts (posts) you must be talking about someone else. I never said anything about painting a picture, or an artist.

Pretty tacky statment...who the f*&k cares,except you

Yep...... when you get a tacky remark a tacky response is in order, that seems to be what the f*&k goes on in this place lately ;),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FWIW ,when I insured my car, I documented all the work done to it, every part in it, the condition of the car prior to the ''update'', labor cost , recent sales/asking prices from diverse publications,give them parts replacement prices from catalogs and Ebay posts, tons of pictures/videos. They agree on the total cost to duplicate/replace, and my premium is 12 buck's a month,5K miles per yr, pleasure driving only and no race events allowed.

Edited by 72 OJ